Forces Bishop Praises Taliban

“
The Taliban can perhaps be admired for their conviction to their faith and their sense of loyalty to each other.”

Besides their attacks on the armed forces, the Taliban have also been responsible for public beatings, amputations and executions and have launched bomb attacks on the civilian population in Afghanistan
Is it just me, we all know corruption and bribary are a way of life over there, when these immigrants emigrate to our shores, do they suddenley grow up, and become westernised. It would be horrible if they took backhanders after becoming elected members of the community.
Thank glory be to God our own homegrown leaders are whiter than white.

Myth and superstition have no place in the 21st Century.

It's about time the whole lot was kicked into touch.

msr

Well that one Anglican Bish who needs to sit on the Naughty Stool for a while, read his history... certainly read the recent history of the Talibandies..... and just how corrupt/cruel they are.... cor what a plonker..... :x

The Church of England’s Bishop to the Forces warned that it will be harder to reach a peaceful solution to the war if the Afghan insurgents are portrayed too negatively.
He may have half a point, but it's simply not his place to comment publicly about it. Headlines like this not only soften the Taliban's image among the British public, but fuel those thinking about joining the 'jihad' by lending it undeserved credibility.

“We must remember that there are a lot of people who are under their influence for a whole range of reasons, and we simply can’t lump all of those together.

“To blanket them all as evil and paint them as black is not helpful in a very complex situation.”

Bish

"...came a day after a new military strategy was unveiled that talked of the need to negotiate with the Taliban, offering them money or immunity from prosecution in order to secure peace. "

Torygraph

Being leaned on by the government for their new plan?

DeltaDog said:
The Church of England’s Bishop to the Forces warned that it will be harder to reach a peaceful solution to the war if the Afghan insurgents are portrayed too negatively.
He may have half a point, but it's simply not his place to comment publicly about it. Headlines like this not only soften the Taliban's image among the British public, but fuel those thinking about joining the 'jihad' by lending it undeserved credibility.
Well the taliban are theocratic nutters . Their " negative image " is well deserved is it not ?

And if we're talking about " sense of loyalty to each other " then why doesn't he mention corporal Mark Wright GC by name or any other of these squaddies who died helping their mates in Afghanistan .?

Earlier this year, Peter Davies, the mayor of Doncaster, claimed that British society could learn from Taliban family values. He said that under the Taliban, Afghanistan had an “ordered system of family life”.
This quote stood out in particular to me. I guess he's right, if his idea of an “ordered system of family life” includes the female members of the family being virtual property for the males :roll:

The rantings and ideas of religious zealots should be ignored IMHO.

You can choose for yourself which ones I am talking about!

"Afghanistan is going we hope in the end to find a way to live together with justice and prosperity for all."

Anybody who can come up with 'English' like that deserves a peak-time beheading on Channel 4.

I agree with the Bishop. The taliban are brave, loyal and don't fcuk around. Many British soldiers would be the same as them if we didn't have to live under strict rules the military and society as a whole impose on us. By the same I am referring to being just as ruthless is their cause to get the job done. If we were as ruthless we'd have won by now. I have a lot of respect for the taliban. Those that haven't are usually the ones that have never encountered them.

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
I remember reading a CIA book a few years back about the CIA's 'brave war in Afghanistan after 9/11' -which consisted of them handing over massive suitcases of cash to every warlord, and appeared more to be the role of a banker than a covert operative. Maybe its the raybans and the 9.11 trousers that makes them hard, who knows?

Anyway, the author was recounting a story of 2 'Chechens' running down one hill towards a fortified Northern Alliance/U.S. Spec Op position on another hill, oblivious to the heavy rate of incoming they were experiencing. They apparently survived the p1ss poor barrage and sought cover in a halfway position, before they were 'airstriked'. The remarks were something like 'can't fight that kind of devotion to dying'.

Which is the crux of the problem. These guys have already given their lives for their cause in advance, and those 77 virgins - real or imagined - are something you can't reason with. They are automotons. How can you fight that, especially when they re-arm, re-supply and replace their casualties with unlimited brainwashed replacements every winter 'break'? You can't - its that simple.

Well Falls, I'm in a sort of agreement. You can think they're the most evil, horrible scum on planet earth, but they do what they do because they faithfully believe in their cause and they're not afraid to die for it, so yeah, horrible as they are, they do deserve a grudging respect - which is not to say that they don't also deserve to be wiped out. You can reconcile the two points of view quite easily. That's no more than the Bish was trying to say, but there you go, how many people on this forum fell for the media picking up the story and presenting it in its most negative interpretation to create news and sell papers? Storm in a teacup if you ask me.

Fallschirmjager said:
I agree with the Bishop. The taliban are brave, loyal and don't fcuk around. Many British soldiers would be the same as them if we didn't have to live under strict rules the military and society as a whole impose on us. By the same I am referring to being just as ruthless is their cause to get the job done. If we were as ruthless we'd have won by now. I have a lot of respect for the taliban. Those that haven't are usually the ones that have never encountered them.
Having spent a great deal of time talking to the Taliban (and in Afghanistan) who are in custody in Afghanistan I concur with Fallschirm....hard dedicated men

Latest Threads