Forced to take second jobs to buy kit

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by wompingwillow, Sep 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is a debate that is running on the Victoria Derbyshire on BBC Radio 5 live now, apparently the Army are claiming it doesn't happens as its not allowed anyway. They are asking for people to call in with their views/experiences

2. Sure they're not talking about walting ACF instructors?

3. Giving it a listen :).

4. Back in the 80's I used to drive for an Agency in Rochester along with some of the other MT and Planties. I know guys who were strippers, bouncers, Farriers and a host of other things in their spare time and on leave. A blind eye was turned and as long as it didn't affect your day job you were OK, it has been going on for years and the upper echelons know it has been going on.

5. There is no point with me contacting that show as I have been out of the forces for 5 years now...its far more important for the ones actually in today to comment.

However,I remember on my two postings to the UK to MT sections that every single MT driver who could get work with a driving agency did so.Some of us who just wanted some extra money to actually spend rather than struggle through the month would do work on Friday night/saturday and sunday.

Those lads with family who were really struggling to give the kids and wives what they deserved would take work all through the week as well....effectively working nights all week and then driving for the MT during the day.....most of us would shift around our details to try and help them out if we could.

This was not greed that motivated them.......it was the balancing act on the breadline that did,especially those poor buggers being hit by the CSA and who had a new family to keep.

6. or find them a kip in the cam-net store.

7. I believe my Dad moonlighted as a security guard and also drove a taxi. That was in the 70's though.

8. I used to do a bit of casual labour at weekends when I was in.
    The money wasn't for kit though,I spent it on class A drugs and whores.

9. When I was a Sig / LCpl I used to do plently of cash-in hand bar work, especially on long leave periods like christmas where I could work 7 days a week for 3 weeks and made a fortune.

I know plenty of Cpls and below who do lorry driving for agencies at the weekends just to make ends meet and pay the bills never mind buying kit

10. Same with anything in the Forces, just because it isn't allowed dosen't mean it dosen't happen. The shit only hits the fan if you are caught or you f uck up.

11. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I knew a few guys when I was in who taxi'd for the local firms & one lad who delivered for the local Indian curry house,which was very handy!....

12. samm1551

samm1551 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Just wondering if we could persuade GB to take on a second job, or maybe not pay himself or his MP's so much in salary and expenses. Kick most of the immigrants claiming benefits out, and then maybe, just maybe he'll be able to afford to provide the armed services with the badly needed kit. Or am I deluded at such simplicity?

13. I worked a second job at weekends in the early 2000s, and it was pretty common. Maybe it's changed, but I thought it was allowed (officially, I mean), as long as it didn't interfere with the army. I'd be surprised if somebody has since changed the ruling on that.

14. samm

he probably already has a second job as most of them do, as directors and consultants to some multi national somewhere and earning more in a month than most squaddies will earn in 10 years.

If he hasn't got one of those jobs, who would employ him when he becomes ex-primeminister next year, he would be lucky getting a job picking the pubes off toilet seats if I had a say in the matter.

15. I know a few lads who do weekend and leave work on the doors, of course the extra money comes in handy but no way would anyone in the army today have to moonlight to afford of all things body armour, it's clearly been exagerated by either the "mole" or the walting idiots who were doing the guarding. To be fair I have worked on the doors and done security work myself and whilst doing so have encountered more ex/serving paras and SBS/SAS than I care to remember. Incidently all of them had a good excuse to forget their army numbers, most of them also had the standard issue ridiculous haircuts, appaling fitness, bad teeth and struggled to string a sentence together. I think mr mole has probably been in the company of a few walts making excuses for why they walk around with their stomachs sucked in all the time.