Force protection vehicles, where are they?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by pegasus_horse, Dec 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst a RAF Brize Norton I saw FPV heading outboud. My son is in 2LI and has not seen sight of them, are these the vehicles that were promised in November for Afghanistan and Iraq ? If yes, they why are they not there? :evil:
  2. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

With a 60% pay and allowances rise for MP's how do you think the MOD is going to afford them - now see sence. :twisted:
  3. Latest reps from HERRICK indicate the new WMIK is having significant problems and the whole mobility thing is a nightmare. THe only vehicles that is still able to get out regularly is VIKING.
    For the rest of the units about to deploy the nightmar is getting enough driving licenses. Due to the up-armour on every vehicle they now all weigh in at more than 3.5 tonnes and therefore need a C1 licesne to drive. Leconfield is already over capacity so we are just throwing money at the problem to get guys driver trained on civilian contracts. On the plus side 3 Cdo Bde are saying lots of nice things about the 2LI Coy. (although they need to shower more - stinking purse)
  4. Dont forget that all the new vehicles that we have bought for operations cannot be driven on UK roads legally so driver training is currently carried out in Cyprus............
    When DST do get them they will be swamped with requests for training.....................And wont, understandly, be able to cope, forcing units to deploy without trained drivers...................... it just me?
  5. So in essence we have yet another well thought out and totally waterproof batsh!t.......again!!!!

What happened to common sense and good planning, the sort of stuff that we used to see on a daily basis?

Bottleosmoke, you are not alone in this thought.

6. Dont get me started.........."Oh lets buy 100 super doopa vehicles, send them all to theatre without letting deploying troops get a look"

Dont get me wrong. I am very sad every time a soldier falls but whenever i see fatal RTA stats which are ultimatley due to a lack of driver training, I could weep.

Feck me, I should be an MD.....................................Doh!
  7. We're on around 50 fatalities per year from RTI's, I don't think that's gonna get any lower.

Do you know of any evidence to suggest a lack of driver training is contributing to this figure ?
  8. I've done a lot of off road driving, some of it in open desert. I've seen a lot of instances where people who are competent enough on the road get things badly wrong on open piste. Driving too fast, turning too hard (especially relevant with a WMIK which after all is a grossly overloaded and top heavy landrover) and failing to lookout for "escape routes" when faced with a sudden obstacle, all contribute to the accident rate.
    I had a driver who was well used to driving Land Rovers, on and off road and who had been driving my Bedford for 3-4 days. Thought he could chuck the Bedford round the desert like you could a lightly loaded Land Rover. Fortunately I was there to stop him and bollock him but he nearly had it over.
    Doing it in formation when you're on your chinstrap and rounds are flying about requires a lot of practice in my view.
  9. msr

msr LE

I thought they were mainly due to excessive speed and not wearing a seatbelt.

10. Attitude has a lot to do with it too.
    I dont care what you say and FMD's will hopefully back me up.
    Co's with a "dont give a feck" attitude to ....lets say "familiarisation" on speciallist vehicles will send more boys back in bodybags on the quiet than any those involved in real fighting.

Its a waste. I know we're all strapped but ffs lets get it right.
  11. Not seen anything about this in the meeja.
    Journos come sniffing round us but seems they are like police - never there when you want one.
  12. This is one the times when media could be useful to us, so if your`e lurking out there guys get in contact.
  13. You lot would be very, very surprised to know just how much of the media scans and monitors ARRSE daily, this story like many other current ones are being noted and assessed.