Forbes: "Pusser And The Story Of Navy Rum"

Many years ago while in the CCF a Petty Officer told us that when the rum ration was still in force his habit was to down it in one and follow it with a tumbler of water straight down as well.
Now you were supposed to drink it on the spot and this day he arrived late. However those over a certain rank managed to 'persuade' the issuing officer to save their mates tot, a fairly regular occurence if said mate was unavailable.
So he arrived back on board went to his cabinet top see his tot of rum and tumbler of water which his mates had thoughtfully placed beside it.
Down went the rum immediately followed by the water which in fact turned out to be Bacardi.
Result one missed afternoon and a mistrust of his mates ever after.
On Diana 1964 the left over rum was sluiced down the drain of the tea-point at the end of the Burma Way (Main passageway). However it actually drained from the pipe into an open drain in the galley. ME Stanley and I found that a food tray would just fit underneath and just after the noon hour we'd place it and lurk around the tea-point to stop bods using it.
We had many a happy afternoon and got lots of favours until one twat looking for promotion bubbled us and that was the end of that.
So, if you're out there, Flowerday, I still owe you a bloody good hiding. :cool:

Was brought up on Bundy, but too many nights dancing with the Bundy Bear mean its now an instant hangover inducer. Having found Pusser's about 30 years ago, I found that a/ it doesn't (necessarily) induce hangovers and b/ shows Bundy up for the poor stuff it actually is.

View attachment 459290

View attachment 459291

View attachment 459292

Couldn't agree more. Bundy is vile stuff. Always drank Red Heart when younger and still on the hard stuff, but even that changed and became quite nasty.

We've started making rum at the brewery, and although I no longer drink the hard stuff, a half tot of the cask strength (82% ABV) is quite a pleasant tipple and bloody amazing in a mug of hot choc made with Lindt 95% and condensed milk.

Couldn't agree more. Bundy is vile stuff. Always drank Red Heart when younger and still on the hard stuff, but even that changed and became quite nasty.

We've started making rum at the brewery, and although I no longer drink the hard stuff, a half tot of the cask strength (82% ABV) is quite a pleasant tipple and bloody amazing in a mug of hot choc made with Lindt 95% and condensed milk.
Would that be 'Ki'? Read about it in all those North Atlantic memoirs but have never been able to get a workable recipe using modern ingredients in a scale not for a Corvette bridge.

Able to share?

No idea if it's kai or not. I'm using a 100g slab of Lindt 95% broken up into two to two and a half litres of boiling water in a 3 litre enamel tea pot/kettle on the hob, 385g tin of sweetened condensed milk and top up to three litres with whole milk. Use some of the boiling water to rinse out the last of the condensed milk, hence 2 to 2.5 litres, ie, use a couple of splashes of boiling water from the normal electric kettle.

For the rum, around four or five tots of Stroh is enough for the entire kettle, added once it's taken off the hob. Stays hot for a good long while in the kettle as well, so you should get a few mugs in before it cools.

No idea if it's kai or not. I'm using a 100g slab of Lindt 95% broken up into two to two and a half litres of boiling water in a 3 litre enamel tea pot/kettle on the hob, 385g tin of sweetened condensed milk and top up to three litres with whole milk. Use some of the boiling water to rinse out the last of the condensed milk, hence 2 to 2.5 litres, ie, use a couple of splashes of boiling water from the normal electric kettle.

For the rum, around four or five tots of Stroh is enough for the entire kettle, added once it's taken off the hob. Stays hot for a good long while in the kettle as well, so you should get a few mugs in before it cools.
Wow. Sounds awesome!

Might have one tonight, must remember to take a pic!
I might not have rum, but I have been making red wine from kits I bought in the UK last month the 5 litre water bottles are quite good for brewing in
B0284A7F-CF10-446B-9ADB-4BDC06220C5A.jpeg

The old fella is 94 now. Age 19 ro so, and in the middle of Far Eastern WWII, his Captain calls him to the bridge. You never personally saw the Captain, the Big Man, back then let alone speak to him. "A.B. Beech, despite the exigiences of war I have received a radio message, and you are the father of a beautiful baby girl. Now, you're a good man, Beech, and I'm ordering sippers today in your honour".

117 men aboard, 117 sips of (diluted) Pusser's Rum on Captain's orders: "You will give and he will receive", three days a zombie as his mess mates covered his duties after.

Many years ago while in the CCF a Petty Officer told us that when the rum ration was still in force his habit was to down it in one and follow it with a tumbler of water straight down as well.
Now you were supposed to drink it on the spot and this day he arrived late. However those over a certain rank managed to 'persuade' the issuing officer to save their mates tot, a fairly regular occurence if said mate was unavailable.
So he arrived back on board went to his cabinet top see his tot of rum and tumbler of water which his mates had thoughtfully placed beside it.
Down went the rum immediately followed by the water which in fact turned out to be Bacardi.
Result one missed afternoon and a mistrust of his mates ever after.
Used to like catching the uninitiated out with Bacardi 151 in hip flask.
Offer a swig and watch as people involuntarily cough, then inhale, as c.75%abv evaporates in the mouth and goes straight to the lungs.

And then tell'em it was Coleman fuel anyway.

Latest Threads