Foraging

Skip-diving, foraging. What other things do you cheap-skates get up to?

kimmi851

Old-Salt
Try elderflower champagne next spring/summer Jarrod , its beautiful stuff. A big cool glass of it is great when it's hot.
My mother used to make that - it was the only drink that had the upside of you couldn't tell by taste whether the cats had pissed in it or not as the taste would not change if they did.

On the other hand this is just getting over the time for eating rose hips. Perfect on the go snack and so high on vitamin C.

Elderberry vinegar is lovely, as is Hawthorn.
Sloe gin, don't wait for a frost, put them in the freezer overnight before making it. Hedgerow cordial (blackberries, blueberries, rosehips, hawthorn etc.) boiled up with honey is packed with vitamin c.
Conkers can be used to make clothes washing liquid and it really does work, we haven't bought any detergent for about a month now.
It's the wrong time of year I know but nettle and wild garlic soup is ace, and full of protein.

Slime

LE
This time of year I don’t pick too much, but in summer I get real pleasure from picking even the smallest wild strawberries on the Mendips.

As mentioned earlier, fresh British chestnuts are stunning, and always an excuse to include them in any meal, whether as whole roast chestnuts or in stuffing etc.

I haven’t come across a puffball for a few years now, that’s a real shame as I love puffball ‘steaks’ fried in bacon fat.

I hate winter and dark nights but I do enjoy the foraging in Autumn. It’s a great time for chestnuts, blue stalks (blewits or pied bleu). Jews ears another good find.
what do you like, recommend and enjoy?
What's the best way to cook jews ears?

Chop the conkers up small and dry until rock hard.
Put 40g of dried conkers in a 500ml jar abd fill with boiling water. Soak for 30 mins then strain into another jar.
You can soak them 3 times. Use the first soaking for a dark wash, the second for less dirty and so on.
After the third soak discard and make a new batch with your store of dried conkers. We only do one soaking as with 4 children the concept of a 'not very dirty wash' is not possible .

My Uncle used to make Parsnip wine, tasted like sherry I think.
Great Auntie Nelly used to make wine of anything that stood still long enough, including parsnips, and very good it was too even if it didn't take prisoners.

Dad and myself used to make blackberry and elderberry wines, both very good and even better if you can bear to leave them for two or three years. I still have his old WI winemaking bible but these days just make sloe gin (with added damsons or bullaces if available).

ugly

LE
It's the wrong time of year I know but nettle and wild garlic soup is ace, and full of protein.
You can still get the bulbs if you know where to look they aren't as pungent as farmed and its the leaves which are the sought after items. My mate makes Kimchi with them.
There are firms willing to tidy up your woodland and thin out the wild garlic bulbs and pay for it too.
My last shoot had about an acre of them, my current one has much more, I cant even begin to calculate the acreage with wild garlic as I still haven't walked all over it yet.

D

Deleted 24582

I look for Snickers bars in the Halloween candy pile. Maybe a Butterfinger when I feel like Private Pyle.

You can still get the bulbs if you know where to look they aren't as pungent as farmed and its the leaves which are the sought after items. My mate makes Kimchi with them.
There are firms willing to tidy up your woodland and thin out the wild garlic bulbs and pay for it too.
My last shoot had about an acre of them, my current one has much more, I cant even begin to calculate the acreage with wild garlic as I still haven't walked all over it yet.
On farm land that used to be my uncles there is wood(approx 3 acres) that is known locally as Onion Wood at the height of the season it's just a carpet of them.

Latest Threads