Foraging

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I hate winter and dark nights but I do enjoy the foraging in Autumn. It’s a great time for chestnuts, blue stalks (blewits or pied bleu). Jews ears another good find.
what do you like, recommend and enjoy?

Elderberries and sloes, though I'll have to find new sources as they either seem to get plundered or the hedge cutters destroy them. Some nice brambles too.

My eldest brother used to make elderberry wine and it was bloody good.
Trouble with shop bought berry wines is that they sometimes add a lot of sugar which makes them taste of sugary water and leads to a frigging hangover. The obvious solution is a more concentrated mulch but every pound is a prisoner...

The season's long over, but fall time mushrooms like puffballs and chicken of the woods are always a treat to find.

I'm just anxious for next May to roll along so I can go and get another 10 lbs of fresh morels and pheasant backs.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
The season's long over, but fall time mushrooms like puffballs and chicken of the woods are always a treat to find.

I'm just anxious for next May to roll along so I can go and get another 10 lbs of fresh morels and pheasant backs.
When I walk the dogs I’ve a penknife in the pocket, nice time of year for me.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Trouble with shop bought berry wines is that they sometimes add a lot of sugar which makes them taste of sugary water and leads to a frigging hangover. The obvious solution is a more concentrated mulch but every pound is a prisoner...
My Uncle used to make Parsnip wine, tasted like sherry I think.

When I walk the dogs I’ve a penknife in the pocket, nice time of year for me.
Lucky. I've only found puffballs on rare occasions, but the ones I find are usually about the size of a human head, so I need a basket or a plastic bag.

It's a right royal piss off to get them home and find that they're too old and have the consistency of a piece of lumber.

My Uncle used to make Parsnip wine, tasted like sherry I think.
Lots of fermentable sugars in parsnips. First Steps In Wine Making by J J Berry seemed informative.

Lucky. I've only found puffballs on rare occasions, but the ones I find are usually about the size of a human head, so I need a basket or a plastic bag.

It's a right royal piss off to get them home and find that they're too old and have the consistency of a piece of lumber.
Have you ever used them as a source of penicillin?

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Imported chestnuts are just awful. The U.K. ones are so much better and free! My Grandad used to keep them in buckets filled with soil.

TamH70

MIA
I try and find out where the local and slightly extra-local wild food sources are. There are loganberries, cobnuts, brambles, raspberries and cherries available on a seasonal basis. I'm not up to go hunting fungi - mainly because the idea of eating the wrong kind killing me because **** you science hasn't yet found an antidote for their poisons really disconcerting.

I try and find out where the local and slightly extra-local wild food sources are. There are loganberries, cobnuts, brambles, raspberries and cherries available on a seasonal basis. I'm not up to go hunting fungi - mainly because the idea of eating the wrong kind killing me because **** you science hasn't yet found an antidote for their poisons really disconcerting.
I can safely identify five mushrooms and it doesn’t take much skill to do that. St David’s, ink cap, puffball, chicken of the woods, morels. Morels can be a little bit risky.

triggerigger

War Hero
Crabapples make excellent wine with a little rhubarb thrown in
Still some bramleys on local tree.

I can safely identify five mushrooms and it doesn’t take much skill to do that. St David’s, ink cap, puffball, chicken of the woods, morels. Morels can be a little bit risky.
The riskiness of real morels is taken care of by cooking them.

I thought I had hit a bumper crop of morels one year, but unfortunately they were stinkhorns, and that name is really well-earned.

Not so much foraging by myself but my neighbour( female version of Gimli the dwarf) is heavily into it. Blackberries, elderberry, Herbs, mushrooms, essentially anything edible she'll pick.

I winkle trout out of the local river.

Try elderflower champagne next spring/summer Jarrod , its beautiful stuff. A big cool glass of it is great when it's hot.

Latest Threads