"Fora" on Armynet?

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Good CO, Nov 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I've just seen a snapshot of Armynet - it's very feint, but does is say "Fora" on the first tab? Just curious. If so someone needs to stop being a latin speaking knob and get their English dictionary out, especially as 'fora' doesn't mean anything to most of the Army.

2. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Not that I can see GCO. Says 'favs'.

3. Somewhere in eDW it says you can use either Fora or Forums, whichever aids clarity.

Without being too much of a crawly-bumlick, I'm with GCO on this one.

4. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Ahhh. Favs it is. OK, Armynet, no more complaints from me. I hope it's going well. Great move on the part of the Army that we've offered to promote but never been taken up on that - I guess we're a bit too unofficial.

(OED is on forums by the way, and since people actually understand that it seems ridiculous to try to force people to use the latin - pet hate of mine).

5. Blimus !

6. O GoodCO, Arrse non sufficit?

7. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Amo amas amat amamus amatis amant. Dominus domine dominum ?.....

That is my entire memory of 4 years of latin classes. Oh and the bloke in the latin book was called Cichilius and came to a sad end in pompey. Or pompeii - can't remember. Buggered to death so must have been the former.

But, what I do remember well was the carpet in the Latin room - the best I've ever found for creating static electricity and zapping people's ears.

8. Mate, he was called 'Caecilius' and spent all his time in the atrium avoiding Metella's cooking and his godawful kids.

Veni vidi vici.

That's me done.

9. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Quintus Caecilius I think you'll find.... I got an A in my O Level but I'm buggered if I can remember any of it now!

10. Yes you're right of course Scary - my involvement in this epic tale was limited to Book 1 only - which focuses on Quintus' father Lucius Caecilius, husband of Metella and owner of some slaves, one of which I dimly remember was called Clemens or similar - only because my Latin master delighted in rolling his name around his mouth like a well-oiled plum.

Mr Crease, if anyone's interested.

11. By the 4th form, the action moved to Alexandria, and the sexy bint Euphrosyne.

Poor Caecilius got pummeled under a wall, I recall.

And Grumio was the paedo in horto, I believe.

12. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Latin Master? Caecilius?

Ah how the other half live. Babbling on in Latin whilst I had to be content with two years of boiler-making, gas working, blacksmithing and sundry allied trades, before being thrown directly into the bleak world of back breaking physical labour at the age of seven.

Ooh, it were terrible it were.

Don’t know you’re bloody born…..mutter to fade….

Or alternately, binned it after third year and can't remember a bloody word either.

13. Did you go to school in wooden shoes - or was school simply not done in your underclass?

PS: Is that Tripitaka? Were you also born from a stone egg on a mountain top?

14. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

There we go. I know I should be working but this has sparked a peculiar interest. Was I imagining pompeii then? Doesn't looked like we minced around either - future tense on the second page of the book.

15. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

This is the one I remember. Tragic really that any of us recall any of it.....