For Zulu film anoraks

Pox_Dr said:
Bwyso i mewn dangnefedd
Sorry to tell you this mate but I think your keyboard is knackered. I could'nt make heads or tails of what you typed.

rebel_with_a_cause said:
Pox_Dr said:
Bwyso i mewn dangnefedd
Sorry to tell you this mate but I think your keyboard is knackered. I could'nt make heads or tails of what you typed.
You heathen englishman :twisted:

Welsh for

Rest in peace

Invictus_88 said:
Not just that, but most of the soldiers were English.
Of the 24th Regt. at the defence, the numbers (Source: 'The Noble 24th. by Norman Holme), 49 were English, 18 Monmouthshire, 16 Irish, 1 Scottish, 14 Welsh and 21 whose nationality has not been fully established.

Great film but full of inaccuracies. I've always thought it ironic that the real Henry Hook VC was a model soldier, teetotaller and non-conformist lay preacher.

There were very few regiments that were wholly English, Irish ,Welsh or Scottish but they were all British and that's the strength of the British army the fact that nationalism doesn't rear it's ugly head in the ranks. We'll leave that to the politicians.

Pox_Dr said:
rebel_with_a_cause said:
Pox_Dr said:
Bwyso i mewn dangnefedd
You heathen englishman :twisted:

Welsh for

Rest in peace

Invictus_88 said:
Not just that, but most of the soldiers were English.
Of the 24th Regt. at the defence, the numbers (Source: 'The Noble 24th. by Norman Holme), 49 were English, 18 Monmouthshire, 16 Irish, 1 Scottish, 14 Welsh and 21 whose nationality has not been fully established.
They had one Jock? No wonder the Zulus ran away! :twisted:

Unhand my coat, sir!

Hard to believe but even back then the zulu wars cost Britain something like £ 5 million. And it was like today, a volunteer army.

Just to add, the average TOM at Rorkes drift was aged 23 years old.

Dont mean to be a boring git!

armies said:
Hard to believe but even back then the zulu wars cost Britain something like £ 5 million. And it was like today, a volunteer army.

But Britain was getting a return for its investment in terms of raw materials etc taken from Africa and for that matter the rest of the Empire. What are we getting out of 'Stan and the Sandpit?

rebel_with_a_cause said:
armies said:

But Britain was getting a return for its investment in terms of raw materials etc taken from Africa and for that matter the rest of the Empire. What are we getting out of 'Stan and the Sandpit?
Opium and suicide bombers respectively.

Needle_Point said:
rebel_with_a_cause said:
armies said:

Opium and suicide bombers respectively.

Straying even further off the Zulu thread:

New kit and experience? The rights and wrongs of why we are there aside, imagine when we're not? Now that NI and virtually everywhere else has been drawn down I expect Mr Broon will be looking to save a few quid when it's all over.

Also, I'm not big on conspiracy theories but - 'War generates business and business types donate the huge sums of cash that gets politicians elected - discuss.'

At Rorke's Drift, eleven Victoria Crosses were awarded. Seven to the 2nd Battalion, 24th (2nd Warwickshire) Regiment of Foot, one to the Army Medical Department, one to the Royal Engineers, one to the Commissariat and Transport Department and one to the Natal Native Contingent
http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/

VCs were awarded to the following seven members of 24th (2nd Warwickshire) Regiment of Foot,

Hitch was born at Chase Side, Southgate, London on 29th. November 1856
Williams was born in Merthyr Road, Abergavenny as John Fielding.
William Jones was born in Bristol in 1839. He was attested at Birmingham in December 1858 aged 19 years
Robert Jones was born at Raglan, Monmouthshire in August 1857.
Harry Hook was born at Churcham in Gloucestershire in 1850.
Cpl William Allen: . . . born in a little village south of Berwick-on-Tweed in Northumberland. Enlisted at York in October 1859 aged 15 years.
Lt Gonville Bromhead: The family home was in Thurlby Hall, Newark. Born at Versailles in August 1845.

2/7 = 28% of the Regiment's VCs went to Welshmen.
2/11 = 18% of the total VCs issued went to Welshmen.

Deduction: They might have sung "Men of Harlech" over the mealie bags - but I'll bet they didn't know all the proper* words, and they would - all bar 2 - have been flat.[hr] * Hitch - or (more likely) Hook - would have had a 'rugby song' version to offer, no doubt. [hr]O - nearly forgot - Needle_Point - you missed out of your list "the entirely avoidable contempt and antagonism of a large proportion of the world's population" 8) 8)

The film was seriously flawed. For a more fantastical - if somewhat revisionist - account read this.

Also, anorakish, but didn't the soldiers also wipe their helmets in tea and that they weren't white but...er....tea coloured? I read it somewhere, long time ago....