For Valour - VC Awarded to Australian Digger

I think our british VC is awarded to someone who has or should have Died while pretty much saving the day.

Not always true: f'rinstance, there is no doubt in my mind that the great wodge of VCs dished out to Rorke's Drift combatants was very much about diverting Joe Public's attention from the mahoosive disaster at Isandhlwana 24 hours earlier, and the action that got H Jones his posthumous VC didn't materially alter the outcome of his battle: other than by creating the opportunity for Chris Keeble to get it back on track, that is.

A former colleague of mine in the INT CORPS, who was also one of my instructors when I transferred into the Corps in 1974, had previously served as an infantryman with 6 RAR in Vietnam and was wounded by a NZ Artillery shell. I believe he was from Cornwall originally but has now returned back to Australia.

Many have won the Victoria cross and lived.

Granted, many more are posthumous but death isn't in the criteria. Disregard for your own safety etc is in there but you can very much win one and live.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
and dont forget mi two VC's but owing to state secrets and battle stress I cant tell you how I got them . Nobody mentioned a bar ?

Many have won the Victoria cross and lived.

Granted, many more are posthumous but death isn't in the criteria. Disregard for your own safety etc is in there but you can very much win one and live.

A few years ago I looked, long and hard (well, on t'internet, anyway) to see if there is indeed a published description of the criteria governing the award of the VC. My search was unproductive. I was left with the impression that such guidelines as there are neither very specific nor very formal.

If anyone can disabuse me of this impression, and lead me to a set of clear rules, I'd be much obliged.

A few years ago I looked, long and hard (well, on t'internet, anyway) to see if there is indeed a published description of the criteria governing the award of the VC. My search was unproductive. I was left with the impression that such guidelines as there are neither very specific nor very formal.

If anyone can disabuse me of this impression, and lead me to a set of clear rules, I'd be much obliged.

Have a look at Ashcroft's VC Heroes, he lays down the original criteria and discusses updates etc. I can't remember if he references his claims of not, apologies.

The last (AFAIK) UK warrant for the VC was gazetted on 30 September 1961. It is reproduced (along with the 14 preceding warrants and amending warrants) as an appendix to the book Awarded for Valour by Melvin Charles Smith. It is several pages long and has sixteen numbered sections several of which have their own lettered sub-sections.

Latest Threads