For Ugly or Stoatman, a question on 6.5mm ammo

Since I consider the two of you to be the Gurus of guns here

A friend has secured 4 boxes of Sellier & Bellot 6.5x52R ammunition

soft point 117grn

he asked if it would fit his Eyetie Carcano and I said no, but have never run across that rimmed round before. Perchance do you know the rifle(s) it fits

Thanks in advance for any info

Since I consider the two of you to be the Gurus of guns here

A friend has secured 4 boxes of Sellier & Bellot 6.5x52R ammunition

soft point 117grn

he asked if it would fit his Eyetie Carcano and I said no, but have never run across that rimmed round before. Perchance do you know the rifle(s) it fits

Thanks in advance for any info
I am not an expert on this, but the Internet says 6.5x52R does not work in a normal Carcano. It's a civilian hunting round and not meant for a Carcano.

The Internet also says that you may be able to jam it into a Winchester 25-35 chamber but it's not recommended as the chamber pressures are not compatible. That doesn't seem to stop people from doing it however.

I should add that the Carcano question comes up often enough that some web sites selling 6.5x52R have "not for Carcano" in block letters at the top of their web page on this round.

I am not an expert on this, but the Internet says 6.5x52R does not work in a normal Carcano. It's a civilian hunting round and not meant for a Carcano.

The Internet also says that you may be able to jam it into a Winchester 25-35 chamber but it's not recommended as the chamber pressures are not compatible. That doesn't seem to stop people from doing it however.

That's interesting. I'd never previously heard of it so had a look around. Sellier & Bellot sell...better to show you.

That's interesting. I'd never previously heard of it so had a look around. Sellier & Bellot sell...better to show you.

Here's the CIP specs:

25-35 Winchester

6.5x52R

The dimensions are slightly different. The pressures seem to be quite a bit different. Does it make a difference? I don't know. You might be fine putting a 6.5x52R cartridge into a 25-35 rifle, but perhaps not the other way around. Or it might be fine both ways if the rifle was designed for either. I don't know.

This is why I said "the Internet says that" and started off with that I'm not an expert on this.

I will add to my previous that if a manufacturer says that a particular cartridge they make is compatible with both 6.5x52R and 25-35, then we can probably accept that they have come up with a suitable compromise.

However if they don't say a particular cartridge with a particular loading is compatible both ways, then we can't assume without checking.

tiv

LE
From Cartridges of the World

6.5x52R.jpg

and the .25-35 Win from the same source.

25-35Win.jpg

Last edited:

ugly

LE
6.5 Carcano bullets are a different size (bore) to other 6.5 ammo which doesn’t help

Latest Threads