For tomorrow: Happy Birthday Ex Able Archer 1983

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
In the office we were discussing global events and I was reminded of Ex Able Archer 1983 which I explained to the team. Then I went to my friend Mr Google and I see that it started 2 Nov 83. Thing is, with the benefit of nearly 30 years' hindsight, is the world a safer place now than it was then?

F

fozzy

Good question. At least when things started to get " sporty" during AA, there were rational human beings who could see what was over the abyss and stood down. Not sure we've got that in place anymore.

Travelgall

LE
Kit Reviewer
Able Archer, how many pairs of underpants in Russia needed laundering after that one?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Able Archer, how many pairs of underpants in Russia needed laundering after that one?
Mine certainly did. Not because I had the faintest inkling about Able Archer until it became news a few years ago, but because at the time I was on the 1 Armd Div FTX (I think it might even have been ET. That boxhead website says yes: M136.de » 1983) on the banks of the Weser when AA kicked off and the grollies simply needed digging out as usual afterwards. How well I remember 31 October as it was The Night of the Mad Dog ... but that's a different story.