For tomorrow: Happy Birthday Ex Able Archer 1983

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by AlienFTM, Nov 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

In the office we were discussing global events and I was reminded of Ex Able Archer 1983 which I explained to the team. Then I went to my friend Mr Google and I see that it started 2 Nov 83. Thing is, with the benefit of nearly 30 years' hindsight, is the world a safer place now than it was then?

2. Good question. At least when things started to get " sporty" during AA, there were rational human beings who could see what was over the abyss and stood down. Not sure we've got that in place anymore.

3. Able Archer, how many pairs of underpants in Russia needed laundering after that one?

4. The 33rd Oblast's "Potemkin" People's Steam Laundry Number 5 was on double shifts for a month in order to clear the backlog...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

6. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Mine certainly did. Not because I had the faintest inkling about Able Archer until it became news a few years ago, but because at the time I was on the 1 Armd Div FTX (I think it might even have been ET. That boxhead website says yes: M136.de » 1983) on the banks of the Weser when AA kicked off and the grollies simply needed digging out as usual afterwards. How well I remember 31 October as it was The Night of the Mad Dog ... but that's a different story.