For the brass fetishists

Discussion in 'REME' started by vampireuk, Sep 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've located an empty artillery shell that I'm planning on turning into a rather shiney piggy bank, I've just removed the percussion cap and fuse assembly (what a nightmare). I've seen the things in the finish stage before, however as this is my first piece I'm not too sure where to go from here, I know the metal has to be cut an an angle and remain straight so a top cover can be brazed on top. Any advice tool wise and technique, I'd quite like not to cock it up. :D

2. Feck me how can you get so much wrong in one post :D

1. An empty cartridge case - the shell is the pointy bit at the front. What calibre is it - see the base for details.

2. You have removed the Primer. How did you know it had functioned?

3. How are you going to fill the hole at the base of the cartridge? See 2 - cutting into a live Primer is ............... interesting!

Once you post the info I can give you more detail - like the address of your nearest AT/ATO to certifiy the thing Free From Explosives.

3. Fill the bottom with penetrating oil, that should? solve the problem of any powder residue in the bottom

4. I call WAH!

5. For expert advice on dealing with shell cases see last ARRSE news letter! :oops:
    I remember in my pre army days as a young lad taking to bits a .5 bullet for a friend in the navy, I removed the 'pointy' bit, emptied it, poured a small amount of melted lead into it to stand up better with amazing results!
    You're in front of me,.........correct, it had not been fired!!!
    It's a wonder I passed hearing test for medical!! :oops:

6. A drift and hammer will remove the primer I believe

7. post pics of the thing

8. Oops.

Attached Files:

9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

By 'drift', I'm assuming that's another word for 'hole punch'? :twisted:

10. If I remember correctly we had a small key with two prongs on it, but I reckon we removed it with a hammer and punch, :D the detonator bit looked like a brass dildo with holes in it! 8)

11. Sorry I'll explain further, the sodding thing is empty and has been fired. And I'm attempting to cut the brass down, not whack at a percussion cap with a hammer all day. :p

Bastards. :)

12. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Mrs BA got me a wine cooler cooler in AFG made from an Arty shell and a pair of cufflinks made from the ends of .50 cal shells. Added quite a bit of weight to her bergan. No idea how yuo would remove that pipe thing from the end of the case.

13. I didn't think you were allowed sharp things. :wink:

14. I hide them at night so nobody knows I have pointy objects. :)

15. Do you have the same problem as me at meal times using the sponge KFS ? :wink: