For the brass fetishists

I've located an empty artillery shell that I'm planning on turning into a rather shiney piggy bank, I've just removed the percussion cap and fuse assembly (what a nightmare). I've seen the things in the finish stage before, however as this is my first piece I'm not too sure where to go from here, I know the metal has to be cut an an angle and remain straight so a top cover can be brazed on top. Any advice tool wise and technique, I'd quite like not to cock it up. :D

vampireuk said:
I've located an empty artillery shell that I'm planning on turning into a rather shiney piggy bank, I've just removed the percussion cap and fuse assembly (what a nightmare). I've seen the things in the finish stage before, however as this is my first piece I'm not too sure where to go from here, I know the metal has to be cut an an angle and remain straight so a top cover can be brazed on top. Any advice tool wise and technique, I'd quite like not to c*** it up. :D
Feck me how can you get so much wrong in one post :D

1. An empty cartridge case - the shell is the pointy bit at the front. What calibre is it - see the base for details.

2. You have removed the Primer. How did you know it had functioned?

3. How are you going to fill the hole at the base of the cartridge? See 2 - cutting into a live Primer is ............... interesting!

Once you post the info I can give you more detail - like the address of your nearest AT/ATO to certifiy the thing Free From Explosives.

Fill the bottom with penetrating oil, that should? solve the problem of any powder residue in the bottom

For expert advice on dealing with shell cases see last ARRSE news letter! :oops:
I remember in my pre army days as a young lad taking to bits a .5 bullet for a friend in the navy, I removed the 'pointy' bit, emptied it, poured a small amount of melted lead into it to stand up better with amazing results!
You're in front of me,.........correct, it had not been fired!!!
It's a wonder I passed hearing test for medical!! :oops:

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
PrinceAlbert said:
A drift and hammer will remove the primer I believe
By 'drift', I'm assuming that's another word for 'hole punch'? :twisted:

If I remember correctly we had a small key with two prongs on it, but I reckon we removed it with a hammer and punch, :D the detonator bit looked like a brass dildo with holes in it! 8)

Sorry I'll explain further, the sodding thing is empty and has been fired. And I'm attempting to cut the brass down, not whack at a percussion cap with a hammer all day. :p

Bastards. :)

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Mrs BA got me a wine cooler cooler in AFG made from an Arty shell and a pair of cufflinks made from the ends of .50 cal shells. Added quite a bit of weight to her bergan. No idea how yuo would remove that pipe thing from the end of the case.

twosugarsnomilk said:
vampireuk said:
Sorry I'll explain further, the sodding thing is empty and has been fired. And I'm attempting to cut the brass down, not whack at a percussion cap with a hammer all day. :p

I didn't think you were allowed sharp things. :wink:
I hide them at night so nobody knows I have pointy objects. :)

vampireuk said:
twosugarsnomilk said:
vampireuk said:

I didn't think you were allowed sharp things. :wink:
I hide them at night so nobody knows I have pointy objects. :)
Do you have the same problem as me at meal times using the sponge KFS ? :wink:

Carts: 105mm

Hammer and drift or wrench out of STTE (Will get back to you when I remember what one it is) to remove the primer
Dry cutter to cut the angle and to cut the primer down (Or use a lathe)
Once you've cut down the cart drawn round the top on a bit of brass
Cut out bit of brass
Braze onto cart (Or get a grown up to help)
Cut hole in top
File the rough edges
Polish it shinier than a Guardsman's capstar
(You might want to file or cut a slot into the bottom of the primer - makes it easier to remove at the end of the month)

The gaffer was doing a rather good line in wine coolers, ashtrays, clocks, bells, cuff-links, desk tidies, shot glasses, salt n pepper shakers, napkin rings and other odds n sods.

Any dramas drop me a line. (And I'll ask one of the grown-ups for ya!)

Did you buy it on ebay? if so its not 1 of mine which were all ffe

Seeing this thread reminded me of my umbrella stand. It was made by my great-uncle Jack Fallon who was a sailor on the USS Vermont (BB-20) during the 1907-1909 cruise of "The Great White Fleet" He made it from a 7 inch naval shell. He was a Machinest's Mate so I presume he had access to a lathe onboard Vermont to flare the shell. Vermont was in the last Pre-Dreadnaught class of US Navy Battleships. The Connecticut Class had a battery of 12 inch, 8 inch guns in turrets, 7 inch in hull casements and 3 inch on deck. I am attaching pics of both sides of the shell plus a pic of Vermont (if attachment works) The designs are raised up above the surface of the shell so it appears that the metal was beaten outwards from the inside and then the design hammered from the outside. The base is several blocks of wood glued together and turned on a lathe. On one side the design is leaves/flowers and on the other a woman wearing what appears to be a bathing costume a bit daring for 1908.

Oddly, the shell appears to have a brass base and a copper body. I would assume in that era large ammunition was not fixed ammo but seperate powder cartridge plus shell. I wonder if this was a shell designed for salutes only. I would guess that Vermont fired a lot of salutes in the course of the cruise. Comments from any naval gunnery experts appreciated.

Attachments

BenghaziBandit said:
That's a bit good!
Beats some of the fag lighters I've seen (and made) from .303's.! :oops:
You made stretchers for carrying homos with .303 brass? Amazing--how many did it take for each one? :lol: