For the black daps brigade......

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Goatman, Nov 16, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

for all those who left 20 a long way behind, but aren't yet quite ready for the Motability scooter and daytime tv in the residents lounge :lol: ....

http://www.pponline.co.uk/tulloh/page1.htm

Black daps....Hi Tec Silver Flash...all sizes...get them while they're hot, they're lovely..... 8)

Lee Shaver

2. Thanks matey, i'll have to take a look at that, i could certainly do with some motivation to get off my fat arrse and regain some of my old fitness.... ;)

3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

No worries D_D

( as to doing with getting off one's fat ARRSE, well couldn't we all mate !)

Had another brain-fart yesterday and bought a new pair of running shoes.....Erin Dawes comments were both vivid and withering....nice shoe though! :wink:

4. Thank you.Makes me feel better - feel very old some days but keep reminding myself that most of my contempories consider walking from far end of the car park as exercise. I may not be a fast runner but I 'plod' better and faster now than I did 20 years ago so can't be doing too bad. I have given up Marathons after particularly HORRENDOUS experience in London this year - half marathons for me from now on!!!!!!

5. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Our Relationships Counsellor writes:

Dear Em,
    though Horatio will be a trifle disappointed to hear that you are feeling your age, he'll be glad to know you can still go the distance when required !

as The Penguin says, waddle on friends ! :lol:

I bet your time was faster than my first London : 4hrs 58 !

Lee Shaver

6. Thanks Goatman for posting 'Running over 40'. Bruce Tulloh was my chemistry teacher at school and he certainly made us run as teenagers. Cross country for miles and miles..... He used to run to school from Goring to Reading which is a fair few miles. Then again he did run right the way across America as I remember from my youth.
    Certainly over 40 now and memories of those cross country runs put me off years ago. Get to the gym now and then. Your brought back some memories. Thank you.

7. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

'S'alright......it struck a chord with me thats all ( Blimey, if this guy was your Chem boffin who on earth was the Head of PE - Kip Kano ? ).....I think we all have a tendency to say 'I'm too old for all that now'......British Heart Foundation do a series of walks in a variety of locations around UK that just about anyone can get involved in... if they have a bit of gumption and don't want to give up on Phys, just 'cos they're the wrong side of (insert whatever you deem to be appropriate age here) .

Without (honestly) meaning to blow my trumpet, I didn't do much running till I was 43. Got a Golden Bond place for KGFS - a seagoing charity -in the London Marathon . My first 10 K (Winchester 2000) was the also the first time I'd EVER run that far.....ditto 10 miler...ditto Half Marathon (Portsmouth)........all the way up to the Worthing 20 miler ( which was HORRIBLE)
    ...I then did the first 20 miles of London in about 3:30 ( well, okay, I was trying to stick with a nice lady dressed as a French maid - who, it turned out was running her FOURTH London), stopped for a drink or three....and pretty much walked the remaining 6 miles,grimacing.

But it was ' one of them apostrophes ', as Bob Hoskins would say
    << " I think you mean epiphany>> said Dustin, wearily.

Anyway, crossing the line was a life-affirming experience....I was unconscionably proud of that big square tacky plaque.....and although I'm not as seriously hooked as a friend who has run 25 marathons, I sort of still have a go now and then, dreaming of a sub-four hour time. ( I can give it up any time I want....no, really...)

Realistically,sensibly, pragmatically , as I get older and the knee-joints give up and the pies take over the waistline, a sub four is not a very realistic target but...well...hey .....why not keep trying ? :)

Goatman ( sadly, neither as nimble nor as fleet as yesterday)

8. Maybe I'll start with the long walks first then and work up to running again. Mind is willing it's the flesh that's weak!! Bruce Tulloh just did the after school runs for those interested as his main subject was Chemistry. My dad thought it would be good for me .... ha ha. Though he was an ex Military Policeman (I think you call them monkeys). Still hasn't changed.

9. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Good tips here: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=29

Lee Shaver