For Some of you Youngsters

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by jumpinjarhead, Jun 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In case you are unfamiliar with this weapons system used by the USMC, I present a picture I just found in my sea bag of the famous/infamous ONTOS:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  2. 3 x 106mm RCLs stuck on a Bren carrier?

3. Count again, thats six!

4. Well spotted. I thought it was 2 vehicles side by side.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Do you ever wish that you had gone to SpecSavers?

6. Does 'Chalkie' double up as driver and loader?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Here's the summary:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M50_Ontos

Cold war answer (?) to the 1000s of Soviet tanks--pity the poor loader who had to exit the vehicle (only good against .50 cal. anyway) to reload. Based on the idea of "shoot and SCOOT!"

8. Certainly looks like it would hamper your day, or year.

9. All 6 going off at once must've been fun...
    Did they have the 653 GM motors in them as well? Not the quietest of motors.

10. The back blast of All 6 at once was a thing to behold. The earlier variant had a GMC 6 cyl. And later had m-150 Chrysler V-8. The problem in Vietnam was vulnerability to IEDs largely due to thin floor and petrol instead of diesel like the Army's ill-fated M-113 APC. It did not take long for crews to jury rig extensions to the drive controls and all would ride on top with sandbags for "seat cushions!"

11. What was the intended use of the weapon, iirc the VC didn't have much armour, though of course the NVA did, but did that put in much of an appearance before the US pulled out?
    Or was there an anti personnel round available?

12. fu2

fu2 LE

I think they had a flechette round in Vietnam.

13. fu2

fu2 LE

imagesCA1G6S11.jpg

bang !

14. That's awesome! It's like some kid has built his ideal remote control toy, and made it bigger.

I bet it would be fun to play in. I also think that the novelty would wear off bloody quickly. It doesn't look very comfortable.

15. Yeah I remember the buckets (M113) had a petrol motor. I think the Oz models were diesel from the word go. They got up rated to 275hp later down the track. They went like a raped ape.