For Service Families - Victory Services Club offer - 21st DECEMBER 11

The Victory Services Club London.....?

• Prefer the Union Jack Club

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cant stand the UJC - is it a better option ?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
here y'go.....

For those who don't know it, the VSC is the other Central London club for ALL Servicemen and their families, just off Marble Arch in London. Their Website is HERE tri service all ranks military club :: Victory Services Club ::

The bar has just had a facelift and the accom is fine for an overnight and about a third of the cost of most Central London hotels.

My Daddy is a Soldier Christmas Party
On Wednesday 21st December the VSC is hosting a Christmas party in association with My Daddy is a Soldier Adventures. This is a newly formed charity, founded by two Army mothers, which provides support for children who have a parent deployed overseas.
To help make the Christmas period a bit brighter for the children, the VSC are donating the Carisbrooke Hall from 12.30 - 4pm.
There will be a Santa and elves handing out presents donated by Harrods, face painters, children's entertainers to play games, a craft corner as well as party food and drink for the little troopers.
Any Army children and families can attend the party free of charge, so if you would like to book a place, please visit their website. Home — My Daddy Is A Soldier Adventures
If in doubt, check it out with the Army Families federation beforehand.

Enjoy,

Goats

My missus has stayed there on a few occasions, and has never had any real complaints (other than London is noisy at night), and she quite happily returns there. There are different standards of accommodation, and if you want to pay the lowest rate, you should expect a basic level. Amongst the reasons why the VSC is a better choice for us over the UJC is that my missus is a member in her own right (as a spouse of a serving member of the forces) and that membership is free, in the UJC, she would have to pay for membership to be able to use the facilities in my absence.

What is the situation with old and bold, former servicemen/women?

Doing a trip to london in mid january, are we welcome or is it serving only?

My old man's a member and stays there every so often. I believe you would have to pay a membership fee though, unlike those currently serving.

My old man's a member and stays there every so often. I believe you would have to pay a membership fee though, unlike those currently serving.
check the website - I think it's £20 a year for ex-serving. I'd recomend the food - it's very good and very reasonably priced

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I am no longer serving - and still a Member although I've only stayed there on a few occasions.

Saw this today - which I didn't know about. Now you do too....

The Victory Service Club (VSC) are continuing to offer support to Service personnel and their families through the Welfare and Respite Breaks Scheme. The Scheme offers free accommodation (with breakfast) for two nights to injured soldiers* and their families**. It also extends the offer to soldiers who, for exceptional welfare reasons ***, the CO believes would benefit by spending a short break in the heart of London. The offer also includes a 50% discount card for many top London attractions. This offer is also extended to widowed Service families and their dependants.

* Offer includes soldiers and officers.
** Families include spouses, partners, carers and dependants

*** This could include bereavement, occupational or operational stress and other conditions which either UWO or MO recommend that a Respite break would be beneficial.

RESPITE_WELFARE_BREAKS_INFORMATION

NOMINATION_FOR_WELFARE_&_RESPITE_BREAK

WELFARE_AND_RESPITE_BREAK_SCHEME

maninblack

LE
Book Reviewer
VSC is a good facility, very good value for money and does a decent breakfast. It is two minutes from Marble Arch near the West end of Oxford Street.

Membership is open to ex-forces and children of ex-forces so even your kids in their twenties can join for only a few quid.

Excellent location and value. Easy stagger from Marble Arch station.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Well that seems to have gone well anyroad:

SOURCE
Christmas cheer for children of deployed soldiers
23/12/2011

Christmas arrived early this year for nearly 200 children who have parents serving overseas in the Armed Forces when they received gifts from Father Christmas at a party in the Victory Services Club in London.

The event was organised by fledging charity, My Daddy is a Soldier Adventures, whose founders Louise Fetigan and Linda Trickett are both military wives and mothers and have experienced their partners being away over the festive period.

The Christmas Party is the first event the charity has organised since it was formed in June 2011.

Major-General George Norton, General Officer Commanding London District and representing both the Chief of the Defence Staff and the Chief of the General Staff, attended the party to give his support to those who had loved ones on operations.

He said:
"Christmas is a particularly difficult time for Service families who have loved ones overseas, so we are hugely grateful to the Army wives who have set up this charity and made today's party for the children possible.

"It is wonderful to see military families caring for one another in this way, and to experience again the generosity and support of the general public towards the Service community.

"Public support is hugely appreciated throughout the year, but particularly so during the run-up to Christmas, when the children will be more conscious than ever of the separation from their fathers or mothers."

Businesses helped the charity provide gifts and activities for the children, with the department store House of Fraser providing a Santa's Grotto for the event. Harrods donated Freddie Bears, Mars UK provided Selection Boxes and Parragon gave books for the party, all of which were given out as gifts by Father Christmas.The charity founders, Louise Fetigan and Linda Trickett, said:

"We're absolutely thrilled to be able to provide such a magical party for 200 British Army children, some of whom have a parent away this Christmas and we hope that we have bought a little bit of Christmas cheer to them and their families in the build up to the big day.

"We are completely humbled by the support and generosity that businesses have shown to us by donating gifts for the children, food for the party and activities for the event. We are overwhelmed that they have added so much to the Christmas cheer for the children."

Amy , from Silchester, Kent, and her children Charlotte, aged 10, and Sophie, aged five, said the party was fantastic. Amy's husband, Corporal Daniel , is serving with 35 Engineer Regiment in Afghanistan this Christmas. She said:

"I am really missing him and this is the longest time that he has been away. I think it's been a particularly hard tour for him but I shield the girls from that. The Christmas party is great for the children as they have been able to see their friends that they haven't seen for a while and it's given them something to focus on.

"Attending the party really reminds them that they are Forces children and that they are part of a great community that really pulls together and supports each other when it comes down to it.

"For all these children here today their dads will go away for a long time and they are able to come together at this great event, which is definitely something positive for them."

My missus has stayed there on a few occasions, and has never had any real complaints (other than London is noisy at night), and she quite happily returns there. There are different standards of accommodation, and if you want to pay the lowest rate, you should expect a basic level. Amongst the reasons why the VSC is a better choice for us over the UJC is that my missus is a member in her own right (as a spouse of a serving member of the forces) and that membership is free, in the UJC, she would have to pay for membership to be able to use the facilities in my absence.
Free? Is that because you have a paid membership? My membership costs me 20 quid a year iirc.

Its £20 a year for ex serving, but membership runs from month of starting unlike UJC which is January to January regardless of when you join. What I especially like about the place is that its great to invite business clients for a bite or a drink during the day. Because of the location the try to mirror the Park Lane Dorchester with the concirge greeting service , very impressive, the bar is open plan and clean looking. All you get faced with at the UJC is some grumpy ex Gurkha demanding ID before you enter this 70s style retro establishment filled to the uxters with noisy drunks.

Free? Is that because you have a paid membership? My membership costs me 20 quid a year iirc.
"... my missus is a member in her own right (as a spouse of a serving member of the forces) ..."

VSC Website said:
For those serving or retired, we have single membership, joint membership, and family membership. If you are a serving member of the armed forces you and your spouse are BOTH entitled to be non-fee paying members of the Victory Services Club.

Membership for retired members of the armed forces starts at £20 a year, for those serving in the armed forces it is FREE.
Link.

Latest Threads