FOR SALE: Victorian Military Wine Goblet - 91st Argylshire Regt.

Discussion in 'Classified Ads' started by Tonanti216, Aug 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I will consider all sensible and reasonable offers for this fine item of glassware.

Attached Files:

2. & inches tall? Slightly shorter then my...well you know. Tenner and its mine.

3. An Argyll wine glass, can I suggest you launch it on that well know website. Having seen a rather well used 17th lancers fork go for over £50 I would suggest your glass would go for that and possibly a bit more

4. Shhhh! Am trying to get a deal here ;)

5. It's there already but the tight wads won't bid! They only want to watch (and dream of it full of Scotch!).....Nit worried about Cabana's measurements though...

6. ^I take it from that last sentence Tonanti, that you dont want to 'Goblet'?

Cat...Hat.........TAXI! etc.

7. CanteenCowboy

CanteenCowboy LE Book Reviewer

Did you make that? For sure as f&*k the Regiment doesn't even have any of them! And the badge seems mhh, need to go look at old photos and speak to mate......

8. That's because it's OLD!

The 91st Argyllshire Highlanders was raised in 1794 in response to the perceived threat of the French Revolutionary armies. In 1793 George III wrote to John, 5th Duke of Argyll, asking him to raise a kilted regiment of 1,100 men. The Duke was unwell at the time and deputed the task to his kinsman, Duncan Campbell, 8th Lochnell. On 9 July 1794, they were formally gazetted into the British Army as the 98th Argyllshire Highlanders, renumbered later, in October 1798, as the 91st.

9. 91? Crikey, did regimental numbers go that high, how bloody junior? And Jocks drinking wine? Must've have kept them for their English officers.

10. The Queen’s Royal Regiment (West Surrey), the 2nd of Foot, was England’s oldest infantry Regiment formed in 1661. But I rather think the Jocks have the 1st Foot this is where I say God bless the Royal Scots (1st of Foot) and Pontius Pilates bodyguard.
    We didn't drink the wine we used the bottles!

11. CanteenCowboy

CanteenCowboy LE Book Reviewer

Yes I do know that, however the 'badge' doesn't look the same as the ones I have seen, and in response to the other poster regarding Jocks drinking wine: for over 200 years Scotland was the largest importer of French Claret in the world, and it was only after the Union that it began to fall away, as France now became an enemy state instead of an ally. And god knows why they picked claret, I think it's rank and much prefer Calvados, yes I know it's brandy and not wine.

Our first Battalion was the 91st and our second Battalion was the 93rd, incidentally the Gordon's second Battalion was the 92nd. And after the Indian Mutiny, the HEIC European Regiments were absorbed into the Queen's Army and all given numbers into the 100's, and also provoking the first sit down strike in recent British military history, as there was a vast difference in pay and terms and conditions of service etc.