For Sale :Chieftains Bob Forrest-Webb

Discussion in 'Classified Ads' started by smudge67er, Jul 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For Sale: 1x Copy of Bob's superb documentary novel of a WW3 tank commander. Those of you that know it an excellent read,those that don't probably what it would have been like in 80's BAOR.

Book in very good condition considering age.

PM me sensible offers please

2. Ah; clearly my offer was a little derisory, please ignore!

3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

How much - jeepers I'd best buy a gold crayon and iron my much loved copy then. think I paid 30p for it.

4. how much!,ffs my mother gave my copy to oxfam in the last century.

5. I know! It's actually increased in price since I bought it (for about £40 IIRC)

6. I'll sell mine too for that kind of money!

7. My offer is: 67 pence and the option on my daughter when she turns 16.

8. How old is she now?

9. This is a very interesting thread because i read this book when it first came out. I was always going to be a little bit biased having been a Chieftain crewman at the time but this was not a good book to be fair. It came nowhere near to depicting the RAC of the time or even crewing a chieftain. It was too far fetched at a basic level and had some real bollocks about what went on in that bloody tank. I remember it being a laugh at best but nowhere near as entertaining as a good old Sven Hassell read thats for sure. It had WO1s commanding tanks and loaders chopping off the fingers of their left hand in the breech, which is just humanly impossible unless there was someone else in the loaders side with you. A good laugh but certainly not worth what i paid for it then (and i borrowed it off a mate) Very very overrated if might say so.

Thats put the cat amongst the pigeons no doubt so will be interesting to keep an eye on this thread. 1 out of 5 stars i'm afraid!

10. Well, when she sits on the shitter her feet almost touch the floor.

11. A proper one, or a potty??

12. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

You do know that Bob F-W is a member of Arrse and has expressed his desire to get the book back in print having seen how many arrsers want to relive the best days of their lives?