For Queen and Country?

Did you join/Do you intend on joining, to fight for Queen and Country?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Does the belief that you are fighting for Queen and Country still exist in todays society?

I know that people have their own reasons for joining up, but is fighting for Queen and Country still one of them?

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
We train to fight, some of us are very good at it, Train Hard fight Easy. And some of us like it. God save the Queen

For most Soldiers the desire to "Walk in the Vally of the Shadow" is not due to bloodlust or suicidal tendancy, but the desire to practice those skills he has spent years learning and refining.

Are your motivations for joining up and what you fight for the same thing? Most soldiers join the Army for the travel/adventure, to learn a trade or because they just plain want a job. But what does money or a qualification mean when you're being shot at? Having not been in combat I can't really say with authority, but all accounts I read & have heard seem to indicate that your mates in immediate team/section are what keep you fighting, for fear of letting them down...
So you join for yourself, and fight for your mates...

Bradstyley said:
Are your motivations for joining up and what you fight for the same thing? Most soldiers join the Army for the travel/adventure, to learn a trade or because they just plain want a job. But what does money or a qualification mean when you're being shot at? Having not been in combat I can't really say with authority, but all accounts I read & have heard seem to indicate that your mates in immediate team/section are what keep you fighting, for fear of letting them down...
There's not much need of tank crews in civvi street

Punch said:
Quote "There's not much need of tank crews in civvi street" Unquote Tropper66.

True words said in jest perhaps?
I spent 17 years in a tank regiment trying to stay out of the stinking things, it was more fun playing with a Sioux

tropper66 said:
Bradstyley said:
There's not much need of tank crews in civvi street
Err, thanks for that Tropper66 ???? Very true, other then maybe driving heavy tracked plant (but then an Engineer would know that as well) but I'm not sure of your point re my comment...

to learn a trade

That bit

And I'm a retired heavy plant op/fitter with a degree in engineering

I just wanted to wear a hat with feathers on it

Pararegtom said:
We train to fight, some of us are very good at it, Train Hard fight Easy. And some of us like it. God save the Queen
That says it all. Total agreement. UTRINQUE PARATUS.

Fallschirmjager said:
I fight because I am really mental and like to kill people. I'd kill the Queen and all the country if I could. That's how mental I am!
Talk about square peg in a square hole... :D

I joined because it sounded fun. Overall, it was - just not in any way I'd expected. I can't claim my service was anywhere near what the current generation are doing, but it had its moment. Queen and Country were never a consideration, but it did give a warm feeling after the fact that I was doing something for the old place.

i joined because i was in a world of shite and if i didnt get away from my home town it could of ended badly,
although queen and country didnt come it to it, once i was in i felt a huge sense of service and loyalty to the lads around me and although im out now, it has never left me and i thank the army for what it gave me.
the talk about driving a tank in civvie st, i was inf and to be honest i think it holds you in a better position than a trade to get a job,
often with a trade thats a one trick monkey, as an ex infanteer im a jack of all trades and master of none so can turn my hand to most things with typical squaddie humour and resolve

Pararegtom said:
" For they had learned that true safety was to be foundin long previous training"
Thucydides
Of the Spartans
418BC

I joined, as i knew far in the future, i would be able to come on Arrse, and it helps on here, if you have a slight understanding of the Army. Even if its based around the time of Wellington.

I joined because I didn't want to get old and senile without having some war or other to gob off about. And so I could post on ARRSE, obviously.