For our Commonwealth soldiers

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Iolis, Nov 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This from their Lordships concerning British Citizenship as reported in Hansard:

"Armed Forces: British Naturalisation
    The Minister of State, Home Office (Baroness Scotland of Asthal): My honourable friend the Minister for Immigration, Citizenship and Nationality (Liam Byrne) has made the following Written Ministerial Statement.

On 11 October the Prime Minister announced that the policy on applications for naturalisation as a British citizen from members of the British Armed Forces was being reviewed (Official Report, col. 298). I am pleased to announce that the review is now complete.

In most cases the Secretary of State will now be prepared to exercise his discretion under the British Nationality Act 1981 to disregard absences from the United Kingdom occasioned by service in the British Armed Forces when considering whether the applicant is residentially qualified for naturalisation.

Serving members of the Brigade of Gurkhas will continue to be treated in accordance with our longstanding agreement with the Government of

22 Nov 2006 : Column WS54

Nepal. They will remain Nepalese citizens until they leave the brigade, after which they will be able to count their military service towards the residential qualification for naturalisation in the same way as other members of the Armed Forces"

(Italics mine)

Regards and best wishes
    Iolis

2. Very kind considering serving soldiers still paying tax NI etc whether in the country or not.

Surely there should be no discretion for most cases nonsense. If you serve for a certain timescale citizenship should be a right. (For example five years or serving country versus one dodgy trip through the tunnel on foot! No contest in my book.)

Or was that just something the French thought up to get blokes to join the Foreign Legion.

3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours