For new RUNNERS!

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by RealBomb, Sep 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Running, Walking, Cycling Distance: How far is it? Find out...

Using this website you could measure the distance between two points. As far as I know; it is 100% accurate. I thought this would be helpful to people wanting to find the distance between two places/points, so that they could practice running.

All the best
  2. I actually found a really good way of measuring accurately your route. All you need to do is go onto google maps.

Google maps
    Map Labs (bottom left)
    Enable Distance Measurement Tool
    Save changes.

You can now plot in the minutest details your exact route and it will tell you how far it is in pretty much any unit of distance you can imagine.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Map My Run does a similar thing, even has an app for your phone free, to map your route while you are actually doing it, marvellous thing technology.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Fantastic. Just used it to prove to mrs1gm that my route to walk the dog is further than hers despite furious arguments to such. now should I have done that or not. Mmm....
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Thats really cool. I never knew of those sites. Does those applications let you map or measure the distance through bitsy roads and paths? I tried a lot with Google map which only lets you do it through proper roads and thats when I found this. :D
  6. LOL!! Glad it "helped"? Or maybe not? Ha.
  7. Map my run uses the GPS in your phone to map your route so doesn't matter if you run trails, roads or mixture.
  8. OH! that makes complete sense. Sucks for me! cause I use a dodgy phone. :-(
  9. For cyclists trying to plan a useful route without too many busy roads to negotiate this one works a treat:
    CycleStreets: UK-wide Cycle Journey Planner and Photomap.

It is excellent for organising longish tour legs and gives you the choice between speed and traffic volume. Recommended.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Try that RealBomb. It lets you measure anywhere on the map not just roads. I used it to measure around my lake and through woods and stuff. The benefit of using google maps is that you can even do it while on satellite mode which helps you get the most accurate reading because you can physically see the dirt track that doesn't show up on a normal map etc.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

What's wrong with a 25 thou map and a bit of cotton? Works for me.
  12. Map my run is a pretty good app, only problem I've found is that sometimes the signal goes a bit wonky and has you off your actual route. One of my runs had me doing a good impression of moses running a mile over water.
  13. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Well, you are a duck. What's the problem?
  14. @Freddie010 Will defo try it mate.
    I think its time for me to upgrade my phone to something that's be handy.