For many in Charlie 1-26, the worst was still to come

Airfix said:
As an American, can you please explain why shooting a zip tied Iraqi only gets you 8 years in jail?
I have no fouking idea! I suspect that his Court Martial may have uncovered extenuating circumstances in this case. Since no real details are given on all the circumstances surrounding the incident. I suspect there were more than was given in this report, which after all wasn't covering this incident. Right?

I'm not the Judge, Prosecutor or a witness, all I know, is what I read from the media. Given the second hand data, that I have in this case, I wouldn't rush to any judgement on this Sgt. and neither should any other non-involved person, IMHO.

To me as an American soldier, who has served in combat, I think he was punished enough, under the circumstances given, and the agreements made, as I feel that many other facts were involved, known only to the court.

Here's a link that may answer some of your questions.:

http://www.stripesonline.com/article.asp?section=104&article=28419&archive=true

Trip_Wire said:
Airfix said:
As an American, can you please explain why shooting a zip tied Iraqi only gets you 8 years in jail?
I have no fouking idea! I suspect that his Court Martial may have uncovered extenuating circumstances in this case. Since no real details are given on all the circumstances surrounding the incident. I suspect there were more than was given in this report, which after all wasn't covering this incident. Right?

To me as an American soldier, who has served in combat, I think he was punished enough, under the circumstances given, as I feel that other things were involved.

Here's a link that may answer your question,:

http://www.stripesonline.com/article.asp?section=104&article=28419&archive=true
It doesn't answer the question, but thanks for the link - it's nice to know the press can report a serviceman with 17 years in has a bad day, ties up someone and shoots them in the face and only gets 8 years jail time for it.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
From the article

Now it was January, and as the chill wind of Adhamiya’s desert nights slipped through the unheated building where they slept, the soldiers of Charlie Company knew they still faced at least six more months in Iraq. Over that span they would watch two commanders leave, see nine more soldiers die, give up faith in their best defenses against the insurgents, refuse a combat mission and have three more misery-filled months slapped onto their deployment.

Can you actuall refuse to go out then?
Or would that decision have been made at a higher level?

Tough tour, I hope the survivors recover emotionally.

scaryspice

LE
Trip - I forgive you the C&P if you really couldn't find a link. Can you say at least where you took the article from please?