For many in Charlie 1-26, the worst was still to come

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Dec 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

2. As an American, can you please explain why shooting a zip tied Iraqi only gets you 8 years in jail?

3. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I have no fouking idea! I suspect that his Court Martial may have uncovered extenuating circumstances in this case. Since no real details are given on all the circumstances surrounding the incident. I suspect there were more than was given in this report, which after all wasn't covering this incident. Right?

I'm not the Judge, Prosecutor or a witness, all I know, is what I read from the media. Given the second hand data, that I have in this case, I wouldn't rush to any judgement on this Sgt. and neither should any other non-involved person, IMHO.

To me as an American soldier, who has served in combat, I think he was punished enough, under the circumstances given, and the agreements made, as I feel that many other facts were involved, known only to the court.

Here's a link that may answer some of your questions.:

http://www.stripesonline.com/article.asp?section=104&article=28419&archive=true

4. It doesn't answer the question, but thanks for the link - it's nice to know the press can report a serviceman with 17 years in has a bad day, ties up someone and shoots them in the face and only gets 8 years jail time for it.

5. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

From the article

Now it was January, and as the chill wind of Adhamiya’s desert nights slipped through the unheated building where they slept, the soldiers of Charlie Company knew they still faced at least six more months in Iraq. Over that span they would watch two commanders leave, see nine more soldiers die, give up faith in their best defenses against the insurgents, refuse a combat mission and have three more misery-filled months slapped onto their deployment.

Can you actuall refuse to go out then?
    Or would that decision have been made at a higher level?

6. full respect to the boys on that tour , it sounds like it was a ballbreaker

7. Tough tour, I hope the survivors recover emotionally.

8. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Trip - I forgive you the C&P if you really couldn't find a link. Can you say at least where you took the article from please?

9. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

10. Army times online?

11. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Yes, as stated in the posted article; however, it came to me in an e-mail. I was unable to find a link to it in the Army times.

Today, I was able to find a link here.:

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/12/bloodbrothers2/