For Jonesy

@LJONESY
Continuing our conversion from yesterday I tried a new powder combination for the AR10. 35grns of IMR 4895 behind a Hornady 168grn A-Max bullet. Six rounds at 400 yards with a slight headwind. Going to tweak it a little more and see if I can tighten up that group some.

Attachments

Last edited:

LJONESY

On ROPS
On ROPs
@LJONESY
Continuing our conversion from yesterday I tried a new powder combination for the AR10. 35grns of IMR 4895 behind a Hornady 168grn A-Max bullet. Six rounds at 400 yards with a slight headwind. Going to tweak it a little more and see if I can tighten up that group some.
Damn, I like that. Will you ever use GI stuff to compare groupings?

WALT

War Hero
I have to say, at 400 yrds that is pretty effing impressive. Sure you didn't drop at least one?

LJONESY

On ROPS
On ROPs
No I won't be, I have no use for the GI stuff anyway.
Well we poor people buy that more than anything else. The good old M80 would be a good round to put through to see how the GI ammo works compared to the special stuff. How long do you wait before each group?

Sure you didn't drop at least one?
Funny you should say that, the bottom left hand one of the group, I pulled on that.
Well we poor people buy that more than anything else. The good old M80 would be a good round to put through to see how the GI ammo works compared to the special stuff. How long do you wait before each group?
Well as I won't be usuing this rifle for shooting at people so I really have no use for the M80 round. As to how long I wait between groups, on my bolt action .308 I shoot from a cold barrel between groups. I've found with the AR10 it doesn't matter so much. Yesterday I put 20 round through and they all went where I wanted them to go.

I just measured that group above, it's 3/4 inch so that'll tighten up with a bit of tweaking.

LJONESY

On ROPS
On ROPs
Funny you should say that, the bottom left hand one of the group, I pulled on that.

Well as I won't be usuing this rifle for shooting at people so I really have no use for the M80 round. As to how long I wait between groups, on my bolt action .308 I shoot from a cold barrel between groups. I've found with the AR10 it doesn't matter so much. Yesterday I put 20 round through and they all went where I wanted them to go.

I just measured that group above, it's 3/4 inch so that'll tighten up with a bit of tweaking.
Yes but the M80 is cheaper to buy in bulk compared to the fancy stuff. If I shop around I can find it for $15-$16 bucks a box. I also zero with that as well as the premo stuff so I know what to expect when it comes to accuracy.

What position do you shoot from when you zero?

I saw the thread title and thought you were taking up a collection for Jonesy's legal team to take on his ROP conviction.

Yes but the M80 is cheaper to buy in bulk compared to the fancy stuff. If I shop around I can find it for $15-$16 bucks a box. I also zero with that as well as the premo stuff so I know what to expect when it comes to accuracy.

What position do you shoot from when you zero?
From the bench to zero and from the prone to group because most of the long range comps are shot from prone.

I roll my own as you know, to be honest I couldn't tell you the price of ready made these days as it's been a good while since I bought any. IIRC the last time I bought any ready made it was 2000 Greek HXP .303 ammunition which wasn't bad stuff.

I saw the thread title and thought you were taking up a collection for Jonesy's legal team to take on his ROP conviction.
Nope won't happen, the gobby twat deserved it.

LJONESY

On ROPS
On ROPs
From the bench to zero and from the prone to group because most of the long range comps are shot from prone.

I roll my own as you know, to be honest I couldn't tell you the price of ready made these days as it's been a good while since I bought any. IIRC the last time I bought any ready made it was 2000 Greek HXP .303 ammunition which wasn't bad stuff.
I hate the bench, it just feels weird.
How much .308 do you make in a batch?

I hate the bench, it just feels weird.
How much .308 do you make in a batch?
Like I said I only use the bench to get on paper, after that it's hunker down. If I am load testing around 10 rounds a time, once I have found a sweet load the rifle likes I usually make 100 a time and store them. Problem is that when family comes over from UK they go through ammunition like it's candy.

Pah! You got off lightly. The mods should have nailed your head to a coffee table.

Yup and I figured it would happen as soon as I entered that thread.
And knowing what would happen you just couldn't wind your neck in and kept stum.

LJONESY

On ROPS
On ROPs
Like I said I only use the bench to get on paper, after that it's hunker down. If I am load testing around 10 rounds a time, once I have found a sweet load the rifle likes I usually make 100 a time and store them. Problem is that when family comes over from UK they go through ammunition like it's candy.

Well I would to, if I got to use your supply and shoot your firearms! It's only right and natural and I am sure they are quite literally blown away at the freedoms out here.

What? Ripped your spine out through your arse?

Latest Threads