For anyone running a Shoot

This is for anyone running a Shoot.
It's regarding what plants and trees make good cover for wildlife and game.
The wood that I'm restoring used to have a flighting pond in it. The pond is now almost choked with crud like Willow and Birch; that's not the problem as I can sort them out with the swing shovel
Part of the flight path, for want of a better description, has Laurel growing down it. Some of the limbs are thicker than bigbird67's thighs.
Is Laurel of any use as game cover? I can't think that there's much by way of food on the wretched plant. The only animals I have ever seen under it were two Muntjac.

Just an update: It gets worse because it turns out the muck is Cherry Laurel. You can't burn it as it gives off cyanide but there may be a Forestry Commission grant to get rid of it.

I was also thinking of burning it off during the Tourist Season... or during the Bumjamin Britton festival at Snape Maltings

This is for anyone running a Shoot.
It's regarding what plants and trees make good cover for wildlife and game.
The wood that I'm restoring used to have a flighting pond in it. The pond is now almost choked with crud like Willow and Birch; that's not the problem as I can sort them out with the swing shovel
Part of the flight path, for want of a better description, has Laurel growing down it. Some of the limbs are thicker than bigbird67's thighs.
Is Laurel of any use as game cover? I can't think that there's much by way of food on the wretched plant. The only animals I have ever seen under it were two Muntjac.
Have a look at this site :- http://www.gwct.org.uk/documents/woodland_conservation_and_pheasants.pdf

Latest Threads