For all the the SLR gurus whats the script with this sawn off barrel?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by AIRBORNEJOCK, Aug 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Was recentley in the Gurkha museum in Nepal and seen this picture of a Gurkha down south in 82 now apart from him not being very ally does can anyone explain the shortened barrel?
    I know that the aussie them used to cut down their barrels in Vietnam I doubt very much this is the case in this photo anyone any sensible answers for anyone who only knows the SLR from call of duty just keep that info to yourself.
    Cheers in advance.

IMG_0063.jpg

Could also be a candidate for a non ally star.............

2. Looks like the photo is badly smeared on the top right side, and that the edge of the mark lines up exactly with the stump of the barrel - so the barrel probably just got deleted.

3. Looks like a photoshop windup

4. Obvious pixels are obvious.

5. Down South in 82, I think not!

6. Why not down south 82? Out of shot are another 2 blokes who look a lot more squared than this chap.
    I see what you mean it looks blurred I had right close up look to the pic and I don't think it's been cut off by a bad shot.
    Photoshop wind up I think not.

7. Only thing I can think of is because he's so short.

8. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

It's an ordinary issue SLR - but the picture is smudged. If you look across you can see a few smudges where the end of the barrel/flash eliminator should be. Old photo, that's all.

9. Just a screwed picture and not one of these?
    Armtech FAL SAS
    How disappointing.

10. In the top right of the picture there are four rectangular features, the right hand two of which seem to be the left hand two copied across. further editing is evident below this and this is what appears to have "disappeared" the rest of the barrel.

I would suggest that the original photo ended where the barrel ends and the rest was "added on" to centre the subject and improve the composition.

11. Short barrel but a full stock?

I'd go with the photomanipulation theory.

12. Could well be a product of photo decay and/or manipulation, but the full stock does happen to match the "Armtech FAL SAS" in post #10. I dunno.

13. I'd say this was the DS answer. Nice spot and explanation.

• Like Like x 1