For Airborne types & those with interest in pre-WWII US Army

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Virgil, Jan 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I found this movie on Google video. LINK

It's a movie about the Army's parachute battalion just prior to WWII or the U.S. (premiered in Aug of '41).

It's called, oddly enough, 'Parachute Battalion'.

Let it load and fast forward for the depiction of airborne training, facilities and uniforms of the U.S. Army just months if not weeks before Pearl Harbor. Members of the US Army's 501st Parachute Battalion do the parachute jumps, are many of the background soldiers and their facilities are used for the training aspects.

EDIT: About 21 seconds into the film during the opening credits if you look at the unit marching by you'll see a monstrously tall soldier in the formation, he towers head and shoulders above everyone else.

Worth a view if you have any interest in the subject.

From Allmovie review:
    The filmmakers of this movie paid careful attention to detail and was made with the cooperation of the 501st Parachute Battalion at Fort Benning, Georgia using actual paratroopers. The viewer is taken through every stage of a jump including folding the chute at the beginning. --Sandra Brennan, All Movie Guide
  2. Oh come on mate! British website, 1941, before WWII, maybe for you guys!! I think your on a wah!!
  3. Pre "Dubya Dubya Deuce ?" :roll:
    Probably not a WAH, probably plain old ignorance IMHO.
  4. Everyone relax, I just plain screwed up. I wrote before WII or the U.S. and meant to write before WWII for the U.S. :!:
  5. It has been said that the US Army Parachute Test Platoon was unique in several respects.
    There was the small point that it pioneered airborne assault.
    Last, but not least because, based on those that claimed to have been an original member, it was also the test bed for the somewhat "unusual" 1,000 man platoon (NOT adopted)
  6. I always thought it was the soviets who pioneered para assault and the nazis who developed it as a viable means of warfare.

I could be wrong, unless I'm mistaken !
  7. I think you're right, the film is a bit 'over the top' propaganda-wise.

The training aspects of jumping shown have changed a bit. They're doing a somersault landing technique that must have resulted in some serious injuries.
  8. The Italian Army where the first to have a full parachute unit in the 1930s
  9. And the last to have a cavalry charge I believe - Savoia.
  10. Amodeo wrote a book Iread it but can't remember the title he the went on to cause the British a headache for a few years, he latter became a n Italian diplomat and is still alive,I Think and living in Ireland as a horse breeder
  11. Just started a separate thread on this, some might find this fairly interesting. I do.
  12. Just started a separate thread on this, some might find this fairly interesting. I do.
  13. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I've seen the forward roll technique shown in a few films about early airborne training
    I think it's used to get the troopers used to tumbling and rolling
    I don't think you could use it as an actuall landing technique and probably not on an operational jump with a leg bag and extra kit

Although the Fallschirmjäger practically dived head first out of their aircraft and dangled under their parachutes due to the different way their rigging lines were set up
    They landed almost on all fours and photo's of then show then wearing knee pads etc
    They also jumped clean as their weapons were dropped in separate canisters so maybe the forward roll was copied from them

Didn't the US adopt alot of the British Parachute equipment post D Day such as the release mechanisim etc
    Also IIRC British Airborne didn't carry reserve parachutes until well into the 1950's

14. I think you're right. The "dial of death" as we called it, used for years up until the 70s or 80s was something we took from the Brits, or so I've heard. Trip Wire probably knows a bit more about it.