Footballers as role models?

It's news....from a newspaper....why bin it???? It's just been on ITN. Quick.....all turn your TV's off!!!!

Never a role-model for me; I always thought of footballers as over-paid, over-acting p0ofters who could'nt take part in a real man's sport like Rugby, Boxing or MMA :evil:

My mates nephew thinks the son shines out of my arrse. When asked by his teacher which famous person he would most like to be like when he grew up, he "Wrote" a one page story about "sergeant major Bad Crow."

Okay i'm not a sergeant major but i will take credit for the "First class bravery medal" and the can carry two "Massive machine guns" when fighting "200 taliban by himself".

My Point:

Just because your a footballer that doesnt make you a godlike role model.

Bad_Crow said:
But it does make you a primping overpaid girly-poofter and cokehead who couldn't hack it in a proper sport.

smartascarrots said:
Bad_Crow said:
But it does make you a primping overpaid girly-poofter and cokehead who couldn't hack it in a proper sport.
That i will totally agree with.

Bad_Crow. Ex fan of football.

I got bored of watching the team i supported cheat in the same way as the rest of them. I got bored of seeing the England team not quite cut it. Or completely miss it as the case is now.

They're overpaid cheating so called athletes who don't deserve then support and fan base they get.

smartascarrots said:
Bad_Crow said:
Seconded! :twisted:

muhandis89 said:
Given the antics of Man U,at least as reported in The Times today,at their recent party,should any of them be considered as ''role models?''
In a sense of this is how you don't act maybe. Not that there aren't some decent ones out there of course, it's just that the ********* take up all the publicity.

On the same vein, the watfoed player from Sierra Leone who is facing deprtation because his visa has ran out is an example of a role model. He came to this country as a young refugee during the war and through his ability has earned a place in their first team. He is not sponging off the benefits and he is providing entertainment for his clubs fans.

The fact that he has worked to gain a place in the first team and earn a wage as a refugee, surely must set as good example of if you have talent and work at it you will become a success?

muhandis89 said:
Given the antics of Man U,at least as reported in The Times today,at their recent party,should any of them be considered as ''role models?''
You're right. I agree 100%. AND thank christ squaddies don't shag wh0res or drink!

gundog said:
On the same vein, the watfoed player from Sierra Leone who is facing deprtation because his visa has ran out is an example of a role model. He came to this country as a young refugee during the war and through his ability has earned a place in their first team. He is not sponging off the benefits and he is providing entertainment for his clubs fans.

The fact that he has worked to gain a place in the first team and earn a wage as a refugee, surely must set as good example of if you have talent and work at it you will become a success?
Sierra Leone is Commonwealth. There's an easy way he can avoid deportation...

I agree to a point that he is innocent until proven otherwise.

He is however in the public eye and whether he is a role model or not, he should have some respect for the responsibilities his massive wage packet brings with it.

The same has to be said for Winehouse and Docherty who in my opinion should be force fed heroin until they die. Scumbags

I don't particularly like footballers.

They are overpaid, and generally under talented for that wage.

They cuss, swear and fight on the pitch. And cheating is now common place. ie diving in order to get an advantage.

Role models? My arrse. The last football role model I can think of is Gary Lineker (spelling?).

For those who appreciate the finer points of Rugby, and loathe football (like me) a video for your enjoyment.

http://www.slide.com/r/Vni-1cXy2T_xSRem6c-W0xEWM7X-1AG3

Enjoy

chocolate_frog said:
They cuss, swear and fight on the pitch. And cheating is now common place. ie diving in order to get an advantage.
And that never happens on a Rugby pitch.

Rugby players swear - A LOT. Christ it's where i learnt most of my vocabulary. We just don't do it at the ref.

Rugby players fight. I know I've started quite a few on a Saturday afternoon and been involved in a lot more.

Ok though rugby players don't cheat. Its called gamesmanship.

The difference is we do all these things in a sporting manner and if we have them done to us we get up and carry on (if we can and the pitch has stopped spinning)

To be honest the video you posted is not a very good example of rugby players as role models. Yes there were some big clean hits in there but a lot of the stuff shown is very quickly followed by the ref on his whistle penalising for a shoulder charge, spear tackle, player taken out off the ball or player taken out in the air.

You try coaching a bunch of kids on a sunday morning after they've seen something like this. Little fcukers all running about trying to spear each other cos they've seen it on the telly. Rugby is a dangerous sport and it really pisses me off when people try to glamourise it by showing the dirty cheating fcukers and making out that they're any better than the higher paid kissballers who spend their saturday afternoons rolling around the floor crying. They're both types of cheating - just one makes you look like a prat and the other can ruin someones life forever.

I can think of a hundred rugby players i'd want my kids to look up to but there's always players involved in incidents. Dallagio shoving coke up his nose, Danny Grewcock smacking somebody, Tana Umaga dumping Brian O'Driscoll on his head, Gavin Henson getting pissed up and fighting on a train and the latest one Olly Barkley's upcoming Assault charge.

Don't get me wrong I still think kissballers are a big bunch of girls.

fingers_1661 said:
Capping their wages & adopting a zero tolerance policy to swearing* at the ref would be a good start.

(*TV cameras & lip-reading kids)
What would capping their wages achieve? As most professional sportsmen have a limited career span in which to make the most of their physical skills and abilities in their chosen sport, why shouldn't they be paid the market rate? The amount of money a person earns, and the sport in which they earn it, can't be directly correlated to their behaviour or their position as a possible role-model. There are good and bad role models in every sport and identification of them isn't difficult.

As for a zero tolerance policy for swearing, (dissent or offensive, insulting or abusive (OFFINABUS) behaviour/language) that is a good idea but unenforceable due to the varying tolerance levels of referees and the increase in the use of 'industrial' language in common speech today. As a referee and assistant referee on a semi-professional league, the quickest way to reduce dissent would be to introduce the 10 yard rule that applies in rugby. However, there is i) a responsibility on officials to deal strongly with dissent and OFFINABUS within the laws of the game and through their match control/game management and ii) a responsibility on the players and management to understand the laws/rules of their sport (not common in football) and adhere to them in spirit and practice.

I quite liked Lawrence Dallagllio's description of the Premiership when he was on Top Gear recently. The squad apparently refer to it as the Andrex League as it's soft and pointlessly expensive. Couldn't agree more!