foot patrols

Discussion in 'RAC' started by thisisazza, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. im looking to join 2RTR as a tank crewman ,do they go on foot patrols in afghanistan ? and any other insight to what they do when on operations would be helpful

2. you may have to dismount and walk ahead of your vehicle as it may be the only way to safely move forwards due to ied threat
  3. Anyone else ??
  4. Or due to the fact that there are no CR2 in AFG, just Tankies driving the new UOR Fleet and doing the dusty walk like every one else. I can think of worse trades and units so go and enjoy.
  5. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Did you learn this about the RTR whilst you were serving out there?
  6. no , my last tour was cyprus in the late 70s but due to injurey i was home within the month , as stated before and ill keep stating i have passed throuhg a lot of lads to the regular army , many come back to visit us and have told us how it can be , i then filtar this down to our up and comers to give them an idea of how it may be
  7. Is Cyprus where you got your 'secret' MiD Mr Walter Mitty?

RTR don't conduct foot patrols. That's what the infantry are for.
  8. Miracle cure for dyslexia as well
  9. FJ,
    Foot patrols are not the sole preserve of Infantry. On Telic, Arty, RAC and Engineers were involved in foot patrols around the AO.
  10. Telic was pretty gay compared to Herrick though as far as mixing it goes. They wouldn't send them out around Sangin to be honest.
  11. snigger.....sorry...sgigner.
  12. FJ,
    I am sure your assessment of Telic is of great comfort to the casualties and their families.....
  13. They did in 2006.
  14. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

I'll pass on your observations to the lads out there in 2 RTR. Although I agree their prime role is not to deploy on foot, they are more than capable. The RAC like other corps have a long history of reverting to grunt mode and complete endless hours of training just like our grunt brethren.
  15. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

I fear he feels that once surrounded by armour we become invincible, next time I sit on TC’s seat on the Cornish footpath I’ll pass on his thoughts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.