Foot Guards in trouble?

ugly

LE
Need a good war, that will get the blokes through the door at the careers office.
The problem is it tends to break those involved and drain the treasury!

The problem is it tends to break those involved and drain the treasury!
Very true, the price is high. Physically, mentally and financially. As we are all too aware after the past 15 years or so.

But can't deny it gets blokes through the door. I imagine post Falklands there were young lads queuing up to join Para Reg' and RM.

Not many lads joins an army to polish door knobs all day.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Very true, the price is high. Physically, mentally and financially. As we are all too aware after the past 15 years or so.

But can't deny it gets blokes through the door. I imagine post Falklands there were young lads queuing up to join Para Reg' and RM.

Not many lads joins an army to polish door knobs all day.
Scots Guards took part as well you know, not forgetting the Welsh who unfortunately came unstuck on the ship waiting to disembark.
It wasn't all about the Paras and Marines.
Meanwhile stuck in Hounslow I WAS fecking busy blancoing and polishing away. Fecking Grenadiers.

the Rifles was embraced and 'personalities' were moved, breaking up the various cabals. Many of the first 'Rifles' RAMs were not of their Bns former identity. Mess silver was redistributed and out dates t-shirts, etc banned. Baptisms such as 3 RIFLES in Sangin has forged the new identity. I know of one serving lad who has worn three cabbages, starting with the Glosters.

I'm not too sure about your PARA assertation either.

IMHO you are correct that the Scots hold on to their original identity, I'd say that the Rifles we're at the extreme other end, with mercians, Welsh at all in between. PWRR and Royal Anglicans not so much purely down to time since amalgamation. They weren't keen on following the 'Big Regiment' model though.

We'll have to watch the on going RL amalgamation, see if it improves on the QRL.
The sort of petty bullshit that pisses the lads off.

Make them buy unit t shirts - then ban them from wearing shit they had to buy, because some new honcho has a different idea.

You'll be suggesting cutting plugs off kit in the block next.

ugly

LE
Coming off a decent ops posting and getting back to real soldiering is an honest let down, if there isn't a real challenge on the horizon staging on in No2's is frankly a god awful let down that nobody wants! The clever boys in Bn couldn't find me a job that was interesting, offered me a driving job but barred me from a cadre as all of the places had been used by the U18 platoon. Great eh!
I PVR'd, if I had hung on for a year or two I'd have been pensioned off under options for change.

Tired_Tech

On ROPS
On ROPs
Tired_Tech

Your right, my wording was wrong with regards the RIFLES holding onto old unit identity. They do not, however I have worked with two of the five and they definitely have a feel of the Unit they came from. They did the right thing from what I can see converting to a new identity.
the only way the 'superiority ' of a cap badge could be mitigated would be to equalise them.

that would require a 25% split from each. Co from one, 2is from another, adjt from a third and so on...

Tired_Tech

On ROPS
On ROPs
The sort of petty bullshit that pisses the lads off.

Make them buy unit t shirts - then ban them from wearing shit they had to buy, because some new honcho has a different idea.
I disagree in this instance.

The point of not allowing old t-shirts was to prevent the former units dragging the RIFLES back.

I believe new merchandise was free, paid for from various funds, or at least subsidised. Patent George boots for 2s, no billing boots and give years to swap mess dress.

ugly

LE

The point of not allowing old t-shirts was to prevent the former units dragging the RIFLES back.

I believe new merchandise was free, paid for from various funds, or at least subsidised. Patent George boots for 2s, no billing boots and give years to swap mess dress.
The only thing that left a bad taste was the appropriation of regimental funds by the new regiment. This money was raised by us and used to fund our reunions. That was a bitter pill.

The point of not allowing old t shirts is purely in the minds of the delusional who think they can impose morale.

Not dragging weapons out of the armoury, which haven’t seen the light of day since the previous Friday, to be cleaned again before knocking off for the weekend, might go some towards a genuine improvement in morale.

Scots Guards took part as well you know, not forgetting the Welsh who unfortunately came unstuck on the ship waiting to disembark.
It wasn't all about the Paras and Marines.
Meanwhile stuck in Hounslow I WAS fecking busy blancoing and polishing away. Fecking Grenadiers.
Calm down buddy, I not going to name every unit that was on the ORBAT just in case I offend someone :-D

Gutted for you as well, missing out =|

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Calm down buddy, I not going to name every unit that was on the ORBAT just in case I offend someone :-D

Gutted for you as well, missing out =|
At the time so was I, in hindsite,as I've said before on this site and with the wisdom of age, glad I didn't.

Tired_Tech

On ROPS
On ROPs
The point of not allowing old t shirts is purely in the minds of the delusional who think they can impose morale.

Not dragging weapons out of the armoury, which haven’t seen the light of day since the previous Friday, to be cleaned again before knocking off for the weekend, might go some towards a genuine improvement in morale.
i have literally no idea where you're going with that.

Tired_Tech

On ROPS
On ROPs
The only thing that left a bad taste was the appropriation of regimental funds by the new regiment. This money was raised by us and used to fund our reunions. That was a bitter pill.
That is a bit sh*t. Surely it was voted across though?

Did any of it get used for that purpose?

I’m pretty sure the RIFLES almost have RSMs who joined the RIFLES. They definitely have post-SUC Majs who joined the RIFLES, and new COs who only did one tour in their ancedent Regiment.

scots_wahey

Old-Salt
I’m pretty sure the RIFLES almost have RSMs who joined the RIFLES. They definitely have post-SUC Majs who joined the RIFLES, and new COs who only did one tour in their ancedent Regiment.
I am fairly certain there are not yet any 'true' RIFLES RSMs, in the same way that there are not yet any 'true' SCOTS RSMs. The SCOTS formed March 2006; a true 'SCOTS' soldier would be absolutely flying to be an RSM in 12 years...SUCs yes. COs not yet either.

It's Gungy three, It started in the 60's when Farra the Para was CO he had all the Coys doing two night exercises per week so any time we were spotted coming back to camp we were covered in cam cream etc.
General Farrar-Hockley was his CO so it must have come in then - strange that he doesn't remember...

Tired_Tech

On ROPS
On ROPs
The Rifles formed up on 1 Feb 2007.

assuming a lad joined as Rifles, he'd have served less than 11 years and 7 months, plus time at RMAS for officers.

the vast majority of the regiment will be pedigree Rifles mind.

Pob02

LE
Book Reviewer
Nobody has flown like that !

Tired_Tech

On ROPS
On ROPs
Too many in the CoC have literally no idea how little bits of bullshit stack up and break the camels back either.

Amalgamation and reorganising is treating the symptoms and ignoring the causes.
It's usually driven by a reduction in bns.

Latest Threads