Foot Guards and Fitness

Well I mean look at this lot (on Major General's Rehearsal today), cut down on the pies and get out on a few runs lads.

On has to question the competence of a chain of command that lets infantry soldiers get into this state and then puts them on show.

33540455_1830363057027165_6884019984855465984_o.jpg

Funny enough I was watching some videos of the rehearsal the other day and they were in shirt sleeve No2's and I was surprised by the number of "Beer Belly's"

On has to question the competence of a chain of command that lets infantry soldiers get into this state and then puts them on show.
The CoC has a lot of pressure from above to keep numbers up, hence why you see more fatty/biffs hanging around.

If they can pass for fit and deploy as an infantryman, who cares? The days of the trim,white, 6ft + woodentop are done, all colours, shapes, sizes, genders etc are the future of the infantry. Diversity is the new model of what HM Forces wants to put across to the public, and the Guards Brigade are, well, the most seen, so it is to be expected they will be at the forefront. If my descendant regiment has to take loads of Fijians, the Guards can suck it up and accept some fatties.......

Last edited:
You'd think they'd look at themselves and do something about it. Pride and self respect is more than just looking all shiny for the tourists.

I still struggle to understand why anyone would join a guards regt. I can't see any benefit in it at all.

Further to my last, this shouldn't be about the badge and the CO getting all bent out of shape and shouty about phys, this should be about personal and soldierly self respect. It's also about pride in the Regt and Bn. To me, this smacks of exactly the opposite.

And what makes this even worse is the fact that guards regts have such a public profile. Like it or not, they are the most public and obvious face and therefore, representatives of the Army.

They need to take individual responsibility and get a grip of themselves....and that goes for anyone who presumes to call themselves 'Soldier'.

Can you elaborate on why cannot understand why anyone would join a Guards Regiment?
Not a criticism just a genuine question.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I watched this with some interest when it was on:

Guarding The Queen | Lion Television

One of the episodes featured a Company doing a pre-HERRICK beat up on Brecon, and I will be kind here if I say that I guess the Coy Cdr's CFT may have been somewhat out of date. Honest to God, he was a fat b@$t@rd, and that's coming from someone in the Light Blue. An infantry officer is paid to look the part, be fit, display leadership and robustness; I dread to think what his troops said about him at NAAFI breaks or beer calls.

Can you elaborate on why cannot understand why anyone would join a Guards Regiment?
Not a criticism just a genuine question.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Not without getting into a pissing contest I can't. But just to say that in my regt, boots are for tabbing not for bulling.