Food Standards Agency ineffective or is it a storm in a teacup

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by RearWords, Aug 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst I commend the Scottish farmer for finding innovative ways of increasing his profit margins I am wondering if the British public are now seen as guinea pigs in the Brave New World. The American public have embraced GM foods and are undoubtedly experimenting with eating meat from cloned offspring. As we are now! Firstly milk and now meat has entered the food chain against Food Standards Agency guidelines.

I am expecting the resident science buffs on Arrse to educate me on this but where in this Brave New World are we conducting tests, analysing results and concluding there is no risk to the general public in eating the meat of cloned offspring. So far Europe and the UK have viewed GM food and the meat from cloned offspring in distaste, giving it a wide berth and hopefully using the US as a well documented laboratory.

For me, I would like to have an informed choice about where my milk comes from and when I salivate over my expensive Aberdeen Angus steak would like to think it comes from natural sources, not a genetically altered substitute.

Second cloned cow offspring used in food chain - News, Food & Drink - The Independent

BBC News - Meat of cloned cow offspring in UK food chain, FSA says
  2. I'm amazed that despite the amount of data that they collect about livestock genetics and movements since BSE, no one at the FSA though to ask farmers if anything cloned might have made it's way into the herd.
  3. At the end of the day I feel that it is inevitable that GM will find it's way into the food chain, the reason being to feed an ever expanding population with an ever decreasing area of the earth to grow it. We need to find new ways of using our resources effectively, unfortunately we do not know the long term consequences of playing mix and match with the genes across species.
  4. Longlenny

Longlenny War Hero Book Reviewer

This will no doubt give the French yet another excuse to ban imports from our country. We import a lot of food stuffs from the USA that are GM and most folk eat these without a thought.
  5. Genetically-altered food might have some perceived risk of unknown consequnces, but what is supposed to be the danger from cloned animals - which are merely an identical biological copy of a natural animal? After all, a good proportion of Sunday roast lamb is "clone" - since sheep commonly have twins or triplets.
  6. And with the increased food supply, populations expand further and yet more food must be produced. Populations expand to consume available resources, and under the formula of 'always more', there will never be enough.
  7. I agree with you completely there, however Nature has a way of bringing things back into balance and it will not be long before something will give which will mean a lot of dead people and a world that is back in balance.
  8. Agreed, but at the moment, talk of 'feeding the world' and a lot of emotional blackmail about starving children, looks like delaying the inevitable for perhaps fifty years at a vast environmental cost that will make the eventual, inevitable food supply collapse worse than it meed be. On the plus side, it will make a lot of money for people like Monsanto in the meantime.
  9. Its a storm in a tea cup - anything GM the UK press throw a wobbly.

In realtity if a cow is good enough to eat, then by definition, its clone will also be. Even if you cloned an diseased cow you'd end up with a healthy one as diseases aren't part of DNA.
  10. Oh look the sky is falling in again we're all doomed.

Maybe we should indroduce more legislation and spend shitloads of cash making sure this never happens again,
    I can't sleep thinking that steak I ate might have come from a cloned cow, and the egg I've just eaten might have come from an unhappy bipolar chicken.
  11. It's the media stirring it as usual. The woman down the street is preggers, she was in the same restaurant as me t'other night having a steak, as was I. If her offspring has two heads in a month's time I will be worried.....but not for long, wipe it's arse and wave it under a light bulb for 30 seconds.
  12. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

So Gordon Brown's offer to give Africa some financial assistance is just Gaia redressing the balance? When he's finished running an entire continent into the ground, we'll have one massive farm to work with - all it needs is a bit of irrigation and development free from the backwards tribal violence and corruption that's currently holding the place back.
  13. Read this thread then had a quick look at the FSA Website .... lots of references to LA responsibilities and how the FSA is an advisory organisation ... if it hits the fan with this latest food concern I can see the Press releases ... " It is not the FSA's responsibility ... we are an advisory organisation ... it is up to LA's to implement ... " . That could well be their death knell .
  14. 2100 employees, and the task they were formed to perform seems to have passed each and every one of them by. An annual income for the Food Standards Agency from Taxpayer contributions of £458 Million, a cost per employee of more than £218,000. Hmmm seems like the government has missed an opportunity to cut costs here....... Get rid of it, its not fit for purpose, fails to conduct the tasks for which it was created and it will claim its simply an advisory body, failing to give advice to food producers when its requested. Easy Savings here.