Food rationing in USA

jonwilly said:
SPAM, Specially Processed American meat.
Quite nice fried between two big thick slices of toast.
john
It's water that will really start wars, lok what China is doing to the Mekong.
FFS!! Spam = SPiced hAM

DavidBOC said:
Gasoline is up to about $3.45 per gallon but other than that noting seems that pricey.
Well you come back when it's closer to $10 per gallon and maybe, just maybe I'll have some sympathy! :lol:

Rudolph_Hucker said:
DavidBOC said:
Gasoline is up to about $3.45 per gallon but other than that noting seems that pricey.
Well you come back when it's closer to $10 per gallon and maybe, just maybe I'll have some sympathy! :lol:
$3.45 per gallon! We pay the equivalent of $11.30 and use much less than the Yanks.

I wish this were actually true. I'd put my sack of basmati on eBay with a quickness.

Early retirement, here I come.

A vast difference between the US and Ireland/ UK is distence of travel, if the worst happenes, we have plenty of arable land and short supply chains to the cities, we may have to forgo our now used to, guava's and and kiwi's, but we will survive, the US, they have vast area's to travel though to get to the cities to supply, and in some states, not a whole lot of arable land for growing produce.....we may look back on the wine lakes and butter mountians fondly in the future[/quote]

I hate to disapoint you but the uk would not be able to feed 60 million plus, we couldn't do it during the last 2 world wars with fewer people and more land available for food growing. Yields have increased but this has been because of oil based fertiliser and chemicals, so if the oil stops so does the fertiliser, plant protection chemicals transport ...... Time to stock up on guns ammo & gold maybe?

I was in Texas a few weeks ago and I noticed that none of the land near the freeway was cultivated on the I35 north of Fort Worth.I've no idea of the land quality in that area,but if there's talk of a looming food shortage,I would have thought land like this could be used for producing food or biofuel.

I would imagine across the USA,there must be a hell of a lot of land that is not used for food/biofuel production,which if push comes to shove,could be.

Comments from our American friends?.

Could have been cattle land. It may not look like the green pastures of the UK, but US cattle can live off what appears to be pretty rough ground.

Texas is big cow country, after all.

The issue with the detroyed rations, I think, is because nobody thought to check what American laws were as regards the import of food. For whatever reason, the US is pretty paranoid about meat products from abroad. I'm barred for life from donating blood in the US because I've lived so long in Europe. Damned if I know what the medical reasoning is, but there it is.

It's probably cheaper to just burn the stuff and make new ones than ship it back.

NTM

BobJamesCo said:
It may be food to most people but to the World Stock Markets its just a commodity traded on the Futures market. It is very easy to buy Options on foodstuffs and find they dont exist months down the line when it comes to delivery in the real world.
If you think the banks have made a Bollks of the Building industry just wait untill you see the coming disaster in Farming.
Best start hiding the Spam now!
OK then, just in case things get bad I'm calling dibs now on spit-roasting Jade Goody.

Now there's a sentence I never thought I'd say...

California_Tanker,

I think the restrictions on blood donations are because of the fear of the spread of Creutzfelt-Jakob disease(CJD),the human form of Bovine Spongiform Encephhalopathy(BSE),or in plain terms,mad cow disease.

If you have been a resident in the United Kingdom for 6 months or more,then this definatly applies to you.

crabtastic selfishly wrote " OK then, just in case things get bad I'm calling dibs now on spit-roasting Jade Goody."

Perhaps you would share the Beaver with the lads, it would keep them going for months.
"waiter their is a hair in my soup"
eeech

ugly

LE
Its getting newstime in Canada as well at the moment. If we allow the economy to run as a free market it will provide for all as if no one can afford food the prices will eventually fall. Its when the govt step in without a war that food control and price control gets silly!

Yesterday I wrote that I had seen no signs of shortages in New England or in the supermarkets in Florida. Today there was an article in the St Petersburg Florida paper discussing the situation. It is not affecting supermarkets but some wholesalers and stores that cater to the needs of the Asian communities. There has apparently been panic buying by Chinese people and some South Asian people who are going into stores and buying ten or more 25lb bags of jasmine or basmati, Some apparently are owners of restaurants hedging against price increases. Some of the Asian store have imposed limits. It appears the shortages are temporary and due to panic buying and hoarding by Asians.

No mention of panic buying in the Latino community were rice and beans are staples but Latino's prefer long grain rice produced in the US and there are no shortages.

ugly said:
Its getting newstime in Canada as well at the moment. If we allow the economy to run as a free market it will provide for all as if no one can afford food the prices will eventually fall. Its when the govt step in without a war that food control and price control gets silly!
Will it, though? Isn't supply vs demand the main driver of the free market? I can see the argument wrking with clothing or electrical goods, but food isn't something you can get by without while you wait for prices to come down. People will continue to need it, continue to pay what they must to get it - where's the market driver to reduce price?

smartascarrots said:
ugly said:
Will it, though? Isn't supply vs demand the main driver of the free market? I can see the argument wrking with clothing or electrical goods, but food isn't something you can get by without while you wait for prices to come down. People will continue to need it, continue to pay what they must to get it - where's the market driver to reduce price?
It does take longer with food than with fridges, but that's because it takes longer to plough up a field, then plant and grow a crop of wheat, than it does to make a fridge. If the price of food goes up, more people realise it's worth their while growing crops, and supplies increase. Within 12 months things should be getting under control. Already there'll be around 10% more land under production in the EU, now that set-aside has been scrapped for this year. It may even need less time in the case of rice, because some countries can get 3 crops a year.

There's not much we can do when places like Zimbabwe remove themselves from the productive economy, though, or if China nicks all the water.

ugly

LE
The market driver will be luxury food prices being cut to meet demand. The problem is too many people panic buy forcing up the cost of goods which could be stockpiled over the year a little at a time and frozen goods or tins can be added a little at a time. I know not everyone has 3 or 4 chest freezers, a couple of pigs and stacks of fresh meat to freeze but in those regards I am lucky to have prepared. As for fresh veg well most can be frozen and bread (I like mine fresh) can be frozen or made really cheaply if you invest in a breadmaker and get a 15 kilo sack of flour for £8.
There is no need for Brits (of anglo saxon extraction) to panic about food as we can adapt as we have in the past. Its the new immigrants since WW2 that may struggle especially those with religeous diets!

Alsacien

LE
When you hear of Hot Dog riots and McDonalds handing out ration cards we will know there is a real problem - until then write it off as typical scaremongering to keep the proles faithful to the cause.......