Food For Hiking/Camping

I've taken a mixture of MoD boil in the bag and civvy food when I've been hill walking and camping, in the past. What civvy food can you recommend for hill walking/camping? I've been shopping around, but the civvy equivalent of a 24 hour ration pack item in Cotswold, and the like, are expensive. The thing is, the packaging is convenient and light enough to still carry around.

I've taken a mixture of MoD boil in the bag and civvy food when I've been hill walking and camping, in the past. What civvy food can you recommend for hill walking/camping? I've been shopping around, but the civvy equivalent of a 24 hour ration pack item in Cotswold, and the like, are expensive. The thing is, the packaging is convenient and light enough to still carry around.
If you're carrying several days' scoff then presumably dessicated food is best? Or just a few bits and eat in eateries?

Wayfayrer meals are reasonably priced at Go Outdoors, if you've a discount card. Some of them even taste quite nice!

Noodles.
Instant mash.
Tinned meats.
Sachets of pasta meals.
Cupasoups.
Tinned fruit cocktail.

Plus the usual snacks and nibbles for munching along.

Morrisons used to do actual boil-in-the-bag meals for about a quarter of the price of the Wayfarer versions. Not sure if these are still around though.

Why pay crazy money for "special" food sold in camping shops? I just trawl around the supermarkets - there are hundreds of product lines suitable for camping and hillwalking. Most tinned stuff even comes with a ring-pull lid these days. For lightweight rations, I use squeezy cheese in a tube, crackers, and those small ring-pull tins of pate. For bigger meals, I just use the stew-in-a-tin that you can heat on a hexy or similar.

For short trips I like jerky, pitta bread, fish in sauce from Lidle's, mug shots and chorizo or some other dried sausage. If you have the time to cook and the right gear a basic bannock mix is great. It's a mix of flour, salt, dried milk and dried egg (if you're posh). You can add seasonings, fruit, jerky, bits of cheese, drinking chocolate or just about anything you can think of to make a tasty, warm and filling meal. I used to use rat packs (and still have a load at home) and while convenient they are heavy and can be a bit boring and repetitive.

Edit:

+1 for Pebbles instant mash suggestion. Individual serving packets which come with onions or other flavours mixed in. Great with a tin of tuna.

If you're carrying several days' scoff then presumably dessicated food is best? Or just a few bits and eat in eateries?
I've just done a search and dessicated coconut seems popular. Certainly for veggies/vegans. If it's just a day's hill walking, I take butties, chocolate and a flask, but if the weather's good I take my Coleman Peak stove and fire up a meal. If I go camping and walking, I take food and drink out with me, and eat out near the campsite when I return.

Wayfayrer meals are reasonably priced at Go Outdoors, if you've a discount card. Some of them even taste quite nice!
They remind me of Vesta Meals. I'd still zing them up with seasoning and chilli flakes.

Morrisons used to do actual boil-in-the-bag meals for about a quarter of the price of the Wayfarer versions. Not sure if these are still around though.

Why pay crazy money for "special" food sold in camping shops? I just trawl around the supermarkets - there are hundreds of product lines suitable for camping and hillwalking. Most tinned stuff even comes with a ring-pull lid these days. For lightweight rations, I use squeezy cheese in a tube, crackers, and those small ring-pull tins of pate. For bigger meals, I just use the stew-in-a-tin that you can heat on a hexy or similar.
Packets are lighter, though, and can be shoved/moulded into all the odd nooks and crannies amongst other kit.

There's always good ol' noodles, too.

I mentioned Wayfayrer because I know you can eat them cold if lugging/finding water to boil them with is restricted. Presumably other brands of ready-to-eat packet meals are available? It's just I've not seen them/gone looking.

Last edited:
I've just done a search and dessicated coconut seems popular. Certainly for veggies/vegans. If it's just a day's hill walking, I take butties, chocolate and a flask, but if the weather's good I take my Coleman Peak stove and fire up a meal. If I go camping and walking, I take food and drink out with me, and eat out near the campsite when I return.

They remind me of Vesta Meals. I'd still zing them up with seasoning and chilli flakes.
If it's a days walking then I reckon you're over-thinking things. What's wrong with a flask and a pie? Some noodles or something if you're adamant that you want something hot for lunch.

If it's a days walking then I reckon you're over-thinking things. What's wrong with a flask and a pie? Some noodles or something if you're adamant that you want something hot for lunch.
Absolutely, and I carry food in my pockets sometimes, too. I've found pastry and thick bread can be claggy, though, so make sure there's plenty of sandwich filling or dips with pittas.

Great ideas here BTW, lads.

Last edited:
What pebbles said.

My usual load is
Lunch Bread, Cheese** Chorizo / Hard sausage/ Tomato (2days)
Meal noodles / rice meal - Chorizo
Breakfast Porridge.
Dried fruit and nuts and a few boiled sweets and a packet of fisherman's friends* for nibbles
2 Boiled eggs often accompany for lunch / breakfast.

Tea + Coffee
Few cans of beer

* Would you care to suck on a fisherman's friend ? No thanks Im in enough trouble already officer / theres people watching / Ive seen the wife this week. Just doesn't grow old.
** Hard Roquefort was a never to be repeated error it leaks.

I have posted this before ... a mixture of Alpen , dried milk , sugar and drinking chocolate ... ideal for breakfast or a convenient quick hot snack ... add hot water and eat / drink ... job jobbed .

I have mine in small Poundshop sealable containers ... just equals a good full mug .

I also use Look What We Found Meals together with Microwave Rice ... no need to Microwave just add to the meal cook together and eat .... a change from Wayfarer .

I've just done a search and dessicated coconut seems popular. .
I think you misunderstood the concept....

...you can buy freeze dried meals that you add water too.

Mountain house are perhaps the easiest to get in the UK. Mountain House Meals

You can get full meals that weigh an ounce if that. As long as you have a supply of water, bobs your uncle!

However, if you like the boil in the bag stuff, there are a few surplus companies that sell the MoD stuff for about £2 a pop or other countries ones for a bit more.

Dutch Ration Pack

Buy Vestey Foods British army ration packs at evaq8.co.uk

if it's a long day I'll take a couple of chocolate bars, some Haribo, a twin pack of snack size pork pies (or a Pasty) and a little pack of dried fruit.

If I'm camping I'm mega lazy and will have a couple of breakfast bars and a brew for breakfast and a dehydrated meal (these usually - Adventure Food | Cotswold Outdoor ) for dinner. I used to use boil-in-the-bags but found the amount of scoff in them was reducing as time went on and they were obviously trying to save money.

I have posted this before ... a mixture of Alpen , dried milk , sugar and drinking chocolate ... ideal for breakfast or a convenient quick hot snack ... add hot water and eat / drink ... job jobbed .

I have mine in small Poundshop sealable containers ... just equals a good full mug .

I also use Look What We Found Meals together with Microwave Rice ... no need to Microwave just add to the meal cook together and eat .... a change from Wayfarer .
Good call on the 'look what we found' meals

Waitrose/ocado stock them I believe