Food Charges

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by LongJohnSilver, Jan 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guys, probably a bone question, but one I would like to clarify:

If a guy who pay's food charges and proceeds on course where DS is admisiable (No Mil Acccom Availiable) do the food charges continue? this from the JSP that would suggest that they do continue, I may be answering my own question, however, you all know how grey the JSP's are :roll:

Food Charges not admissible:

When, due to the exigencies of the Services, an individual is unable to eat at the unit/station to which they are assigned, or temporarily assigned, for a period exceeding 48 hours and Subsistence Allowance is not admissible and a claim for a Missed Meal Payment (MMP) has not been made for the same period. Exemption will be applied retrospectively to the beginning of the period.

Thanks in advance.

LJS

2. If there is a scoff house or some form of arrangement allowing you to put MOD procured yumyum scrum down your neck then food charges are still charged.

3. What about this from JSP 754 then:

When, due to the exigencies of the Services, an individual is unable to eat at the unit/station to which they are assigned, or temporarily assigned, for a period exceeding 48 hours and Subsistence Allowance is not admissible and a claim for a Missed Meal Payment (MMP) has not been made for the same period. Exemption will be applied retrospectively to the beginning of the period.

Clearly food eaten under DS is not procured by the MOD, thus, wouldn't food charges continue if they were in reciept of DS??

Many thanks in advance

4. LJS, look under missed meal claims. When claiming NS, which normally attracts DS, an individual who normally pays for Food Charges at his parent duty station is entitled to claim missed meals on his return. However, if they come clean and admit they have eaten 'every day' in the mess/cookhouse, then DS is not claimed and neither is missed meals.

Long time no c

5. You to big fella, did you get my PM, the question is, do food charges cease for an individual, who would normaly pay them, whilst said individual was in reciept of Subsistance Allowance for temp duty where no service accom or feeding is availiable i.e NS and DS, be that DS or Missed Meals (which, if you look at my quote from JSP 754 is mentioned as a debar from a Food Charges Waver as well as Subsistance being a Debar), the Regs, as detailed in my previous, would sugest that they do not cease, that's what I am seeking clarification on, can you shed any light?

6. I still love reading these type of articles even though I am concious I no longer have access to the regs to be able to keep up to date.

However this seems to still fall under the same area it did when I was serving. A days worth of MMP used to add up to more than a days food charges. So if someone is on a long course/detatchment, the "proper" thing to do would be to stop food charges and pay them DS/NS as appropriate. However, it is of more financial benefit to the serviceperson to recieve MMP instead of not paying Food Charges, so where possible, this is the approach I personnaly would take for any short course. (We also used to use this approach for people on 4 weeks resettlement courses)

7. However, the regulation would suggest otherwise:

Food Charges not admissible:

8. LJS my reading is Food Charges are admissible if claiming DS. My question would be why can individual not use service eating facilities?

Likewise are they not yet PAYD unit?

Just out of noseyness of course!

Jockster

9. Sorry LJS, perhaps it is my not knowing enough of your stated scenario, but my interpreation of the above allowance is that it is telling you you cannot stop food charges if you have given the person DS/NS or MMP. But it is not telling you he Must pay food charges if he goes away on a course where he cannot be fed. i.e Before he goes, you as a unit should decided, are you going to stop his food charges and NOT allow him to claim MMP, or are you going to leave Food Charges in issue and allow him to claim MMP (The DS/NS is a bit of a red herrign as it has nothing to do with wether food charges are being deducted or not). So I simply read this regulation as a confirmation that you cannot have MMP AND stop food charges. Its for you to decided which to go for (IMO)

10. Purely hyperthetical, say I go to Birmingham where there is no Mil Accom or Messing, I stay in a Hotel and claim NS and DS, I live in at duty station and pay food. My reading is that food charges continue as I am in reciept of DS, do you agree?

11. LJS yes agree BUT when you input via JPA surely it will make the necessary change - although I am aware that Single Accom is a different JPA role.

Likewise you can only interpret the JSP as you see fit. If in doubt ask ICT/Bde and keep a copy of the answer they give you!!

Jockster :wink:

12. Surely the relevant bit here is

Exemption will be applied retrospectively to the beginning of the period.

What they are saying is that if food charges have been made when no messing was available a retrospective claim will be allowed.

13. IT_Geek sorry mate but as of 01 Jul 07 all personnel attending courses are liable to food charges regardless of Maristat.

In the JPA world, in theory, the receiving unit should take the individual on and therefore it would be their call.

Life is so complicated nowadays!!

IMHO I would not process food charges as there is no Service Messing option. Likewise DS should be admissable.

LJS you should check this with COC and I would be interested to know the answer to the most complicated "hypothetical" questions I have ever seen on ARRSE!! :wink:

Jockster

14. Again, I must be reading this wrong. I thought the scenario was a Soldier already paying food charges, going on a course to a location where no messing/accom is available and he is in receipt of Subsistance. So the question is, do you stop food charges, or do you pay MMP? My call would be, leave food charges in issue and pay him MMP