Food budget for Australia

Discussion in 'Travel' started by pazza, Aug 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My wife and I are planning a holiday next year for a 7 night stay and we will be taking our son who will be nearly three years old. We have been discussing how much we should budget for the spending money and I'm guessing the food for all of us will be the main chunk of it.
    I have been told many times that food is really expensive over there, at least it is to us once the currency has been exchanged, so can anybody with recent experience of the country give me an idea of how much it really is? We are going to be staying in Sydney which probably bumps it up even more and I expect most of our eating will be away from the hotel.

Any help/advice is much appreciated, thanks.
  2. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

If you can afford to fly three people to the other side of the world you should be able to afford groceries for a week when you get there.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Thanks, that was very helpful.
  4. I guess it depends largely on where you will be staying in Sydney and what you want to eat. If you are going to be dining around Darling Harbour you will need a lot more cash than if you are going to be doing a McD's around Kings Cross. Your biggest problem is going to be keeping an under 5 entertained for the flight!
  5. FrosteeMARIA

FrosteeMARIA LE Gallery Guru

Last visit to Sydney for me was 2010; I didn't think it was any more expensive to eat out there than it is in the UK, right on the quays next to the opera house, too. The only difference I noticed was fuel prices! I would recommend a chocolate restaurant I found, but I'm stuffed if I can remember the name of it.
  6. Triple the cost of what you normally buy, OZ is very seasonal for certain fruit. In a nutshell, they import a lot of food hence high cost.
  7. The jet lag may knock you all out for a few days then its time to come home - It's a long journey for 7 days.
  8. Thanks guys, maybe a 10 night stay will be more appropriate then. You've all made some valid points , especially about the little one on the flight. It might well be that we have to think a bit more if its practical or not and maybe look at somewhere else.
  9. FrosteeMARIA

I'd pick flight times based on arrival time at destination, not when you depart. You can avoid jet lag that way. I've never had it!
  10. Do an online shop at Coles (Aussie), look at the basket cost but don't check out.......then convert your shopping into £.
  11. If i can be of assistance then pm me.
  12. They say you recover from jet- lag, one hour per day,

You're going to have a brain full of broken biscuits for some time........

13. A three year old with jet lag...the horror....and its worse on the return leg.
  14. FrosteeMARIA

Like I said, it's easy to avoid if you plan carefully. I've done four long haul trips and never experienced jet lag.

15. Had a lad on board went to Oz for an extended long week end, left Thursday night was back late Monday.

He was RN tx to RAN bought himself out rejoined RN but had "Right of residence " if he went back every 2 years, hence the 56 hours flying for 20 hours on Oz soil.