Food banks - are all of the people being helped truly deserving?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by headgear, Dec 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just watched the BBC news and a report they did about the increasing need for food banks. Whilst I fully appreciate that many people really do need a leg up (especially low paidworkers not on benefits!) however 2 of the mothers being interviewed made me wonder just how desperate they were . Mother1 said that the food really helped her as you she could buy more presents for the kids - not a present for the kids but MORE presents. Mother 2 was a single unemployed mother of 4 but it struck me that as a black lady her hair was dyed bleach blond which surely must cost a lot to do and maintain? - I guess my point is that I think that it d be much more helpful to teach priorities to these 2 ladies! I know life wont be easy for these 2 but I was wondering how many other people in the que had similar priority blindness!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1
  2. In the country town where I live, we have no shortage of potential recipients of goods from the local food bank which has recently been set up.

Certainly plenty of vouchers have been distributed to the needy by the approved agencies.

However, according to a relative who volunteers in the Food Bank, no one has yet turned up to collect their issue.

It would seem that the perceived need is greater than the actual need.

3. They did say that at the food banks sponsored by Morrisions, recipients were referred there by their Doctor, social worker or their school. So that must weed out a few idle scroungers at least. But even when times are hard, people can manage to find a special offer or two, a money saving coupon here and there, the odd thing to swap and just about manange things like having their hair dyed for Christmas. Without having to dip into food money. So a snapshot view can make someone look like they are doing ok, when actually they are struggling.

4. I have to confess I have, in the past, taken advantage of buckshee scran dished out by the Sally Army in Plymouth when staggering back to the yard. I must have looked like a worthy recipient! Saved queuing for a kebab anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  5. I wish they could extend opening times for some of the scrounging sods though as it interferes with the opening hours of the pubs and when they have to collect their dole money and queue up to get their fags....as said above if they can afford sky TV, presents and other comforts then why the **** do they need handouts

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 9
  6. I think the phrase "people who are struggling to maintain a lifestyle well above their paygrade" would be a more apt description.

• Like Like x 12
  7. Mmm... Come on kids! Tea's on the table. Dry pasta again.

8. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Table? Tea's on your lap in front of the 48" plasma tv, during a break from your x-box or smartphone game playing.

Have you seen the so-called 'definition of poverty' these days? I qualify, despite working in a well-paid job, because I don't have a games console, only have one tv and don't own various other what I would call luxury items.

I know there are some people in genuine hardship, but I think the points above about priorities are fundamental here.

• Like Like x 5
  9. It is possible to cook it in water. You could even purchase or grow a few vegetables to go in it. If you're feeling really extravagant, you could spend £3 and do beans on toast for 8 people.

Nice food costs money. If you want it, make money. If not, be thankful for what you can afford.

There's absolutely no shame in being skint and having to resort to things like dry pasta. There ought to be shame in scrounging for handouts while smoking and wearing designer shoes.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 3
  10. Tbf if the benefit agency screw up or something expensive breaks a lot of people might be glad of a food bank parcel.
    Theres generations being brought up by people who dont know how to cook.

11. Not really.

As I've mentioned before on the benefits thread. My family get 3 meals out of a chicken, we have cheesy pasta and left overs once a week (which usualy does my lunch too) and tuna pasta bake (again does my lunch or two).

That gives me money for the odd splurge.

And I don't wear anything particularly designer... unless TU and George count.

• Like Like x 1
  12. That is exactely right. There was a program on last year about food handouts and some women had a nice house nice furniture big tv's , the lot . She explaned how her to dogs cost £16 a week to feed ! It seems to me to be something thats on the rise only because peolple see it as another thing they can get for free . The local paper [oxford] said last week they increased from 300 meals to 900 a week in one year . I really struggle to believe theres more than few people in Oxford who are so poor they need free food .

13. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

I think some people lack the basis skills of eating healthy for not too much cash. You can make healthy meal with basic ingredients like pasta or rice - tinned mixed beans with meat or fish for a couple of quid if you plan it in advance snd think about things.

Me and my son love tinned sardines - they cost 80p a tin in morrisons throw on a jacket spud at £1 for 4 and a tin of mixed beans you a heathly Cooked meal for a few pounds.

When you're on a budget you can still eat well you just want to have to try too.

• Like Like x 5
  14. If you need to use a foodbank and you drink or smoke then you dont actually need to use a foodbank - its then a lifestyle choice to rely even more on people who contribute to society to bail you out of your own personal failure to cope with the real world.

• Like Like x 11