Food allergies

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Panzerman, Mar 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whats the Army's view if you are currently serving then all of a sudden developed a food allergy to wheat/yeast? More or less have to move onto a gluten free diet. Do they medically discharge you or do you get a gluten free diet and can stay in? I hope it is the latter! Would hate to get punted out due to beer and bread not agreeing with me anymore.

Cheers

2. Have you asked the Med Centre?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Good job it's not a nut allergy, the forces are full of 'em. :)

4. No. I am not making myself known to the powers that be. If its a risk to be punted out I'll be avoiding wheat based food as best as I can. Im due to get deployed very soon on another tour.

5. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

well thats half the problem solved as you won't be getting much beer in a FOB :)

also its probably an intolerance not an allergy. Food Allergies tend to kill folk where as intolerance just make you feel miserable.

You could always try narrowing it down further. I wont touch anything white flour based nor drink larger or cheep bitter (made from strangled yorkshire budgies). However I'm fine with brown/whole meal and proper mans beer and German Biers. I think its something to do with the additives and not the wheat/gluten.

6. House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 18 Feb 2008 (pt 0016)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dunno about gluten but I know a guy who developed a nut allergy at 25 and more or less had to resign because the army couldn't guarantee a nut free diet. I suppose it'll mainly depend on how seriously allergic you are and what the reaction is. Talk to your MO.

8. Thanks for the feedback. This is a recent occurence as noticed by my recent visit to an ale festival. Well as a poster says above, prob is more like an intolerance. I get a hefty blocked nose when wheat/yeast is taken in the form of beer or white bread.

9. Post edited to read correctly, problem sloved.... don't suck as much cock

10. Food allergies are for puffs!

Try eating an entire catering jar of pickled eggs one day, following up with an entire catering jar of pickled onions the next. Then, despite not being allergic to either, you'll not only know what your arse is for, you'll also know why it's hanging off!

11. If youre still able to do your job I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like you're going to keel over gasping for air if you eat a piece of toast.

Bloke I mentioned went for a satay one night, turned purple and couldn't breathe and had to be carted off in an ambulance. He'd been fine with nuts up to that point and now has to carry an epi pen with him at all times. Bloody scary when you think about it

12. Instead of guessing and trying to hide it from the Army, I'd speak to your MO and get someone who actually knows what they're talking about to advise you.

Better to lose your job than keel over in anaphylactic shock on some FOB in Afghanistan because you've eaten something you don't know you should avoid, if it comes down to it. Or, at the better end of the spectrum you can get medical advice and probably even referred to a dietician for further advice, foods to avoid etc.

13. Hi - I know this is a LOOONG time ago but did you resolve this? I am making a documentary on how much food intolerances/dislikes are catered for in the UK military. Please contact me - thanks :)

14. Well that won't be worth watching or making.

15. I found that there was nothing quite like a packet of nuts hitting you in the face.