Follow The Sapper

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by A_Knocker_Till_The_End, Aug 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. anyone else invested in a copy of this book

[​IMG]

noticed that there was no mention of frank kirby in the book though. however it is a feckin very very good read & has some fantastic pictures.

bought mine,brand new, from e-bay as it cost me £10.50 +p&p compared to £30 +p&p from everywhere else

any other comments.

2. Is it me or is there no nose on the bridge? I've tried finding a better photo of the picture... (chatham is a long way away...)

3. best i can find

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ah..much better....!

Still can't see a nose on it... perhaps they forgot it...they were under fire after all.. :)

5. Im looking to get this book when i get back to the uk, glad you have give it the thumbs up.

6. like i said check out e-bay because it is a lot cheaper (book is brand new & not used) & it still came with the corps enterprises stamp on it :? :? :? :?

7. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

I seem to recall that the Bailey doen't have a "nose" in the same way as MGB etc but uses single panels (note that the front of the bridge is canted up) and counterweights at the back end.

8. correct it is like so..................

[​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bailey_bridge#Design

9. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Excellent -

Shows that I payed attention of the YO course.

10. but not TOO much attention i hope :D :D :D :D

11. bump

i thought it may be of interest to swordman.

laters.

12. Well I've learn't something....

(or pehaps I should have remembered... it was Weymouth... and perhap's it had been a late night :) )

13. Bailies? If you wanted some excitement? Then Pegasus Bridge provided plenty of that, for the enemy wanted it back, or destroyed, at any price.

Or the Market Garden assault crossing of the Escaut Canal at "Petite Brogel" at one on the morning, September the 18th. The folding boat crossing and the FB assault bridge.
    The description of that episode will come up on "Old Sappers" shortly.

Now that was the Sappers at their superlative best. Sadly, we left some fine men behind.
    Swordman