FOB Exercise,Caerwent

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Bravo_Bravo, Feb 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bravo_Bravo

Bravo_Bravo On ROPs

Another good, demanding session this time practising FOB and patrolling drills.

We deployed blokes with Vallon, Bowman and LMGs which would have been unthinkable for a TA unit even two years ago. (as well as the usual A2 and GPMG ( x6)). We also used, for the first time, Helmet Mounted Night Vision kit which looked to be pretty useful. The OPFOR / Local Nationals had a selection of AKs and wore dishdashes.

INto routine at 0830 saturday; patrols, sanger bashing etc. Naturally the patrols came under IDF and SA fire and the FOB was IDF'd. More than once. The RAP was tested as was the CP; 9 liners and notional MERT requiring HLS clearance. The medics put on some superb CASSIM complete with squirting blood to simulate arterial bleeding.

We had walk-ins and one patrol went out with a rather more ginger than usual ANA soldier.

Sunday at early-ish o'clock saw a totally unexpected FOB attack, complicated by having two of the three platoons out - fisrt Plt was fixed, QRF deployed who also became fixed. IDF on the FOB followed by Taliban killing all of the CP, 13 FF KIA and 4 Talib dead.

Fair bit of chaos despite a very helpful WO2 playing OPFOR being heard point out, during the scrap, that some,litter needed picking up and the presence of a rather notable trip hazard.

IMO a very good exercise that shows what can be done when the PSIs are good'ns.

2. It would seem then, that some units trg is way ahead of others!

3. All v admirable, but:

That's just boll*cks. My oh my ! 6 GPMGs ! A2s ! Might have been unthinkable for you...but the rest of the TA has been doing that for a while. I know of at least one unit that in 2009 did a 2 week ex simulating working from a FOB, Bowman, C-IED drills, ECAS..... FFS...what are the rest of you doing ?

4. So it would appear, coy weekend or slighty larger BB?

5. If that's a coy weekend, Christ, consider my transfer request in!

6. Now tell them what happened to the Bowman at the end :D

7. Bravo_Bravo

Bravo_Bravo On ROPs

I thought my emphasis was rather obviously on the use of Vallon, Bowman and LMGs, which are not routinely used on Ex by TA units. If yours does; good for you.

The Ex was open to the Bn but I think the main body was for the guys looking to go on H15.

8. It worked?

9. the less said about bowman the better

10. Bravo_Bravo

Bravo_Bravo On ROPs

"What, me worry?"

11. not at all, quietly confident kit is on a shelf in a certain location. I'll speak later

12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

If 4 Para are still leading the MST for H15 expect a lot more of it, particularly during your 2 weeks at Thetford/Brecon. Casevac is for winners!

13. Bravo_Bravo

Bravo_Bravo On ROPs

Oh, joy...

14. Bowman, what happned to Clansman....?

Magic

15. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

It's in a museum in Blandford on the shelf next Larkspur I think.