Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by PETER4, Sep 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello All,
    I found this site while doing abit of research on the French Foreign Legion.
    I remember it being mentioned on GI Jargo.....three years ago I guess its been. I live in America and i'm currently in a Naval Cadet Corps. One of the best things i've ever been in.
    I am thinking of enlisting in the U.S. military sometime with in the next couple of months, but I have also looked into the Foreign Legion. Do any of you know much about the FFL?
  2. A good fiend of mine who served is a member of the Foreign Legion Association of Great Britian, you want to get in touch with them. I dont think they have a website?.

Or click on to the French Embassy in Washington which has very good information:

3. Are the FFL any good, have they ever won any battles?
  4. We had a guy in training with us who couldn't get his vetting so they allowed him to leave. Last I heard he had joined the legion and I am not talking British legion and was doing okay.

Funny lot, they all worship a wooden hand.
  5. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

I'd be wary of the FFL. All their celebrated battles seem to be last stands to the last man.

And I notice that the wooden hand thing is admiring an officer who was killed pretty early on in the fight. No mention of the NCO who kept the men fighting after that. But then he probably wasn't French :mrgreen:
  6. Mmmm, wouldn't be my cup of tea I can tell you - wine with breakfast how uncouth can you get!?

One of the grown-ups in 'Orange' the phone folk, think hes a high up finance type, did a few years with the FFL yearrs back and wrote the book 'Legionaire' based on his time there..... not pretty, not pretty at all..... Good read though.
  7. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Simon Murray.