FMT600: pointless bureaucracy or what?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by msr, Oct 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. msr

    msr LE

    Can't have a hire car as I haven't been fammed on it...

    Can't drive a 4T DAF on a C1 license - need full C

    How much taxpayers money are we wasting here?

  2. The_Duke

    The_Duke LE Moderator

    Ever though that it might be that they just don't like you?

    I get a hire car whenever I need one.
  3. you dont need one for a hire car or whitefleet unless you driving Cat D
  4. msr

    msr LE

    Oh yes you do.
  5. With the Blow me up bus, apparently if you're older than a certain age you can be "Granfathered" into it, i.e.the regulations are different for driving the LDV minibus. So a 19 year old tom is safe, whereas a 34 year old Cpl will be guaranteed to be driving whilst his platoon in the back all look like they're catching flies.

    Nice Avitar btw MSR. Name names.
  6. msr

    msr LE

  7. Edit**

    Just seen your post about hiring a 4x4, I had to get fammed up on Defender/Safari and Ford Rangers before I could drive them.

    Hire cars/van are different.
  8. Grandfather rights don't apply for the Cat D1 as it is only to be used when it is not for hire or reward.
  9. Did you do a test for your C1 or is it also a grandfather rights license?
  10. the MAM for a '4 ton truck' is more than 7500kg iirc therefore it's a cat C vehicle.
  11. msr

    msr LE

    This is two rants. One is me not being allowed a civ 4x4 for an exercise without being fammed on it and the other is that I am going to have to arrange for all my guys to get a full C license to drive a 4T DAF when the C1 license covers up to 7.5t...

    mph: perhaps that explains it. Either way with the replacement of RB44 with DAF we are facing a large bill to get those who need it C+E...

  12. Sympathetic_Reaction

    Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

    Sorry MSR but you've never been able to drive a 4T on a C1 licence, you can't do it in civvi street and the MOD have no exemption. 4T relates to the carrying capacity, the vehicle have a GVM of approx. 10,000kg which puts it into the C category (C1 being between 3,500 and 7,500kg). Also note that if you want to drive the 4T with the large trailer you need to have a C+E licence which is the same as you need for an Articulated Lorry.

    This has been the case since 1997.


    p.s. also note that to drive the Long Wheelbase Landy (or whatever is the current equivalent) means another test to get D1 which most people won't have nowadays.
  13. Its not pointless... it keeps the MT staff in a job... so there is a point to it.
  14. MSR, I have some sympathy with the whole 'pointless' fam requirements especially if you are already fully fammed on a TUM GS although the forces do tend to play towards the lowest common denominator!

    As an aside when you hire the 4x4 check the T&Cs as I have found many are not allowed to be used 'off-road' - unfortunately the definition of off-road included non metalled tracks meaning the vehs were pointless to use on a training area.
  15. A FMT 600 is not generally required for Cat B (4x2) vehicles unless directed by your unit.

    And just because its called a 4 Tonne doesnt mean it weighs just 4 Tonne when fully laden.

    As the mph 1977 said above a Cat C licence is required for vehicles with a Maximum Authorised Mass of over 7.5 Tonne which a 4 Tonne does indeed have.

    So dry your fucking eyes princess.