• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

FMT600: pointless bureaucracy or what?

Can't have a hire car as I haven't been fammed on it...

Can't drive a 4T DAF on a C1 license - need full C

How much taxpayers money are we wasting here?

msr

Travelgall

MIA
Kit Reviewer
Oh yes you do.
With the Blow me up bus, apparently if you're older than a certain age you can be "Granfathered" into it, i.e.the regulations are different for driving the LDV minibus. So a 19 year old tom is safe, whereas a 34 year old Cpl will be guaranteed to be driving whilst his platoon in the back all look like they're catching flies.

Nice Avitar btw MSR. Name names.

Z

Zarathustra

Edit**

Just seen your post about hiring a 4x4, I had to get fammed up on Defender/Safari and Ford Rangers before I could drive them.

Hire cars/van are different.

With the Blow me up bus, apparently if you're older than a certain age you can be "Granfathered" into it, i.e.the regulations are different for driving the LDV minibus. So a 19 year old tom is safe, whereas a 34 year old Cpl will be guaranteed to be driving whilst his platoon in the back all look like they're catching flies.

Nice Avitar btw MSR. Name names.
Grandfather rights don't apply for the Cat D1 as it is only to be used when it is not for hire or reward.

Did you do a test for your C1 or is it also a grandfather rights license?
This is two rants. One is me not being allowed a civ 4x4 for an exercise without being fammed on it and the other is that I am going to have to arrange for all my guys to get a full C license to drive a 4T DAF when the C1 license covers up to 7.5t...

mph: perhaps that explains it. Either way with the replacement of RB44 with DAF we are facing a large bill to get those who need it C+E...

msr

Can't drive a 4T DAF on a C1 license - need full C

Sorry MSR but you've never been able to drive a 4T on a C1 licence, you can't do it in civvi street and the MOD have no exemption. 4T relates to the carrying capacity, the vehicle have a GVM of approx. 10,000kg which puts it into the C category (C1 being between 3,500 and 7,500kg). Also note that if you want to drive the 4T with the large trailer you need to have a C+E licence which is the same as you need for an Articulated Lorry.

This has been the case since 1997.

S_R

p.s. also note that to drive the Long Wheelbase Landy (or whatever is the current equivalent) means another test to get D1 which most people won't have nowadays.

MSR, I have some sympathy with the whole 'pointless' fam requirements especially if you are already fully fammed on a TUM GS although the forces do tend to play towards the lowest common denominator!

As an aside when you hire the 4x4 check the T&Cs as I have found many are not allowed to be used 'off-road' - unfortunately the definition of off-road included non metalled tracks meaning the vehs were pointless to use on a training area.

B

Bottleosmoke

A FMT 600 is not generally required for Cat B (4x2) vehicles unless directed by your unit.

And just because its called a 4 Tonne doesnt mean it weighs just 4 Tonne when fully laden.

As the mph 1977 said above a Cat C licence is required for vehicles with a Maximum Authorised Mass of over 7.5 Tonne which a 4 Tonne does indeed have.

So dry your fucking eyes princess.

if your talking about FMT600, how about if you havent driven it in the last 12 months then its off your FMT 600.
Now means I have to waste a training weekend getting my soldiers fammed all over again.
I now have a complete Sqn within a Transport Regt that cant drive anything at all!!!
Car not on FMT 600 you cant have a hire car?? Not been fammed on a combi van? cant have one?
For a Regular unit I can see the point but for a National TA Regiment its a total none starter!

The_Duke

LE
if your talking about FMT600, how about if you havent driven it in the last 12 months then its off your FMT 600.
Now means I have to waste a training weekend getting my soldiers fammed all over again.
I now have a complete Sqn within a Transport Regt that cant drive anything at all!!!
Car not on FMT 600 you cant have a hire car?? Not been fammed on a combi van? cant have one?
For a Regular unit I can see the point but for a National TA Regiment its a total none starter!
Of course, you could also take the view that if a Transport Regiment is so poorly managed that it has a whole squadron of soldiers who have not driven military vehicles in a year and have thus lost their FMT 600 fam, then it should probably be closed for being too incompetent to draw MTDs.

Totally agree however as we are NOT drivers, we need those weekends to concentrate on trade training and keeping guys up to scratch with MATTS, now with 19 days a year am not really sure where we can fit this extra two days of fam training in??
Now lets see to keep a guy basically current we would have to drive L/R, Minibus,Combi van 4T. And that is just basic.
So if half the Sqn turn up on a weekend, then its going to take more than two days!
Weekend for MATTs, weekend for Fire training, and then a 14 day TRADE exercise??? dont leave a lot of room for Fam training does it!

You are all so right. I mean if you have a Cat C licence then you should be able to drive any vehicle in that group should you not. I did my Cat H in a 432 about 20 years ago and the tossers at Bovington last year would not let me have a spin in a CH2 MBT. Why the hell not, i've got a licence to drive it so what's the problem.

Latest Threads