• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

FMT

M

mogwaimarshall

you need to complete and pass a matrix test on computer, then you have to have familaristion training on the vehicle to be able to recieve a fmt 600 then you can drive

Normally happens on your annual camp, you should have an MT Staff who will do it, Familiarisation does not take that long.

If you dont have a designate MT, Ask very nicely in your Local TA unit and they may assist you. Your Chain of Command should be able to advise more however

Our Bn has just made it mandatory for drivers to have Cat D1 on their license to drive an ACF minibus. We used to get FMT600 test for that. :x
Is it the same everywhere else?

El_Supremo said:
Our Bn has just made it mandatory for drivers to have Cat D1 on their license to drive an ACF minibus. We used to get FMT600 test for that. :x
Fuck me what is the world coming to when the bureaucrats in charge are insisting that you have the correct driving license, for the vehicle with which you are using, to transport the children in your care.

If we lie down and take this it will be seatbelts next, you mark my words.

Prior to 1997 on passing the standard test you received many more categories then those passing afterwards.

Someone may have taken 13 years to notice, but you need to be licenced for the vehicle you are going to drive. There are certain exclusions in service of the crown, but that's more to do with having to get someone to shift a vehicle in a combat zone etc - not driving a minibus full of cadets.

El_Supremo said:
Thats a good call on your Bn's behalf, the D1 allows you to carry upto 16 people, but upto 8 people on an ordinary car licence....

Cheers for the replies. Apparently I can (with my ACF hat on) drive a charity minibus (16 seats) without a D1 as long as its not for profit. Any clarification?

El_Supremo said:
Cheers for the replies. Apparently I can (with my ACF hat on) drive a charity minibus (16 seats) without a D1 as long as its not for profit. Any clarification?
No JSP 800 applies, you need a D1 licence.

If you passed your test before X Date you may find you have D1 License, If you dont I dont beleive you can drive with any passengers though I beleive you can drive an empty mini bus

to drive a D1 vehicle not for hire or reward you either need a pre 1997 full driving licence or meet the requirements of the Uk derogation

to drive a D1 vehicle under the Uk only derogation to drive with a cat B licence , it must be voluntary, the driver must have held their licence for 2 years and there are restrictions on the type of vehicle ( e.g. mam 3500kg for standard vehicles and 4250kg for accessible)

the issue of being paid while driving depends if the vehicles have s.19 permits and i strongly suspect that white fleet won't although vehicles owned by the cadet forces themselves might

the CTA has a lot of good advice but you need to register ( free) to get to a lot of it

Jerrycan2793 said:
If you passed your test before X Date you may find you have D1 License, If you dont I dont beleive you can drive with any passengers though I beleive you can drive an empty mini bus
exactly.

the rant comes not from having to have a minibus license to drive a minibus (duh!), but in a lot of ACF counties, from the fact that even if you did your test before the 'cutoff' date, you still have to have D1.

makes perfect sense to me. Rules should apply to all or none... there was no sudden drop of driving test standard when the rule changed, it was just too much paperwork to revoke people's both-cat licenses!

So someone who has been driving a minibus safely since 1997 or even earlier should have his license revoked and have to go to DST Leconfield because it....

makes perfect sense to me. Rules should apply to all or none...
The rules do apply to all. The rule is you must have a D1 license. Some of us had one by passing a driving test pre 1997. Some poor buggers have to go to DST.

I think anyone who has been driving safely (no bans or endorsements) since 1997 might have the requisite experience and maturity to handle a minibus safely.

Permit 19 is a council lead scheme which allows drivers who do not have D1 on their licence to drive a mini bus of no more than 16 seats and a weight limit of (IIRC) 3.5t, provided they are not doing so for hire or reward.

These Permit 19 certificates need to be in the vehicle, with the disc (about the size of a tax disc) displayed in the window.

The ACFA is also a register issuer of the permit 19.

As CFAV are not paid to drive the minibus, nor do the cadets pay for the fuel/insurance of the bus, CFAV have been able to operate under the permit 19 ruling. This would not apply to regular soliders.

Permit 19 is continuing for youth groups outside the MoD (such as Scouts and guides) but the MoD has decreed that the ACF are not allowed to operate under the scheme after 1st April 2010.

A budget has been made available to each county for driver training. Some have used it, some haven't.

walt_of_the_walts said:
So someone who has been driving a minibus safely since 1997 or even earlier should have his license revoked and have to go to DST Leconfield because it....

makes perfect sense to me. Rules should apply to all or none...
The rules do apply to all. The rule is you must have a D1 license. Some of us had one by passing a driving test pre 1997. Some poor buggers have to go to DST.

I think anyone who has been driving safely (no bans or endorsements) since 1997 might have the requisite experience and maturity to handle a minibus safely.
well does that mean that next year, all those who passed in 1998 or before should be allowed?

the rule doesn't exist because of the time people have been driving, the rule exists because the law changed and the government didn't want to annoy everybody by revoking their licenses.

IF all you need to do to drive a minibus safely is hold a car license, for 13 years, there would be no requirement for a minibus test.

are you telling me if I got my license in 1996 and didn't drive for 14 years, and you got yours in 1998 and drove a transit van to work every day for those 12 years, I would be a more suitable candidate for an automatic D1 license?

thought not.

therealbigdizzle said:
...are you telling me if I got my license in 1996 and didn't drive for 14 years, and you got yours in 1998 and drove a transit van to work every day for those 12 years, I would be a more suitable candidate for an automatic D1 license? thought not.
Mate, I asked a civil question, you didn't need to go off on one.
It seems that I was correct that I can drive a minibus not for profit, but not under the ACF's banner. I've been safely driving kids in my care in an ACF minibus for the last 10 years but now I can't. OK.
For info, 3 years ago when this was first announced, I did the D1 theory test. The ACF/Army in characteristic style, failed to arrange the driver training & testing as they'd promised, the theory test expired after 2 years, back to square 1.
I live 130 miles from the nearest testing station, and 300-odd miles from the place where the training is supposed to take place. I work, so I can't just drop everything and go. Another arrangement (ie not the flaming ACF's) would have been ideal, that's not to be. Thanks to those of you who took the time to help.

Latest Threads