FMR

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Hussar, Apr 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now that I've been out for some years I recently got to wondering about all the "high tech" training aids the were used in the 70's and 80's.
    Things like the FMR (field miniature range) spring to mind. This consisted if I remember correctly of a .22 rifle strapped above the main armament and boresighted accordingly. We then shot at small rubber targets in a sand pit. H&S would have a field day with that set up now.
    Is this system still in use? and if not does anyone know when it was phased out?

2. Have seen FMR sheds/hangars, but I think they were replaced by the AGS, a system with a laser projector atop the barrel, firing laser dots at either a screen or model table.

3. Yep, that's about the size of it. Mind you, just as bad for H & S - one of our PSIs got a nasty electric shock from the laser.

4. Think when at tidders about 85 they had a laser trainer in one of the buildings, used a film on a screen to fire at.

5. Which was the system called "Aquilina" named after an RTR gunnery god? I think it had something to do with lasers and was fairly rudimentry. I also remember feeling disappointed when I found that the Chieftain drills turret (can´t remember its proper name) didn´t have a BV.

6. That were suposedly invented by a bloke called 'R*n Aqul*na' with 2 other guys down at Lulworth where they served as Gunny Instr, legend has it that R*n, took all the glory & the other two got a bit peeved of course.

7. CIM Classroom Instructional Model

8. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Funniest laugh out loud I have had today - good job there wasn 't coffee in mouth or I'd now be wiping it from screen.

9. I remember, whilst being taught the intricasies of the BV on my Chieftain gooners course, inquiring as to how one got the fried egg, we had just been told could be cooked therein, out of the little tap thingy.

A .50 RG barrel weighs 28lbs, IIRC, and round Fally tank park was a long way to run with the bloody thing above your head.

10. At least FMR went "Bang" rather break wind! Each system had its pro's and cons.. I did once catch a .22 ricochet in the neck - still got it somewhere.

11. Classroom Instructional MOUNTING!

12. AlienFTM

I thought it was a MODULE!

13. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

I'm with you Alien but FBG will without doubt prove us wrong. It was the superb way he was brought up 8) He was even given training on how to rob my bank account once :?

14. AlienFTM

Shirley if he can rob your bank account once, he can rob it multiple times? Or is there special training in how to do it once which makes it different from robbing your account many times?

We NEED to know!!!

15. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

I have since secumbed to marriage bliss and a new better looking bank robber has come into my life. SO THERE IS NOW NOTHING TO ROB