Fmr SecDEf Hutton

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Kromeriz, Aug 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What the Great War teaches us about military budgets - Telegraph

My father, Ex RRA, is dead, he enlisted at 15 and then did the term. He was S/Sgt Provost RMA, circa 71, and then Woolwich Depot Provost S/SGT before retiring.

Mr Hutton I have met... I was a town councillor in the frozen north aka Cumbria whilst John Hutton was the MP for my area.

The comments posted at the end of the article are interesting although Mr Hutton did resign over his views. I think in J Hutton we had a good Secretary of Defence.

What grates for me is the reference to the RRA... and then talking about the various regiments in the first world war. He does do them service but not sure on facts.

Would be interested in arrsers reading his extract and their current thoughts given he was SecDef.

Kromeriz

2. Does he claim to be a military historian? Should he know every detail of the RRA's activities?

3. SecDef? How about Secretary of State for Defence, we're not in the US!

4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

(Baron) John Hutton was a reasonably effective SofS, and did his best considering the background of the labour in-fighting at the time. He’s also written a rather decent book about his local Regiment, The King’s Own Royal Lancasters, in WW1. All in all, he is a decent chap, with a great interest in, and respect for, the Services.

5. He did come across as caring about the services and he did stand up for shipyard despite the disaster that was BAe calling in the Americans to fix the Astute programme. Local councillors from both sides had a lot of respect for him.

I am not sure if it was his personal circumstances or deeply convictions on defence that caused him to leave: many thought he would have been a better Prime Minister than Brown.

As to his previous book, not sure on that one, The King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment) came into being in 1881. In 1921, it was re-designated The King's Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster). In 1959, it was merged with the Border Regiment to become the King.s Own Royal Border Regiment, they have now merged with the QLR and the King.s Regiment to form the Duke of Lancaster.s Regiment

As to Alfred the Great, maybe if we were things might be better...:).