FM The Earl Haig

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by mushroom, Jan 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Loathe him or love him today is the anniversary of his death in 1928.
  2. You only mention it because you were his instructor when he was in training...
  3. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

A man much maligned and a victim of, to use Cuddles' fine phrase, "historical analysis by poetry."
  4. By chance a couple of years ago I saw his grave in Dryburgh Abbey , near St Boswells in The Borders . I was astonished that it was not a huge Memorial but the standard Gravestone used for all who were killed in the Great War .
  5. The cnut still owes Tropper a tenner
  6. Why was 2Lt Haig borrowing money from Tropper's discharge gratuity?
  7. Is there anyone, dead or alive, that DOESN`T owe Tropper a tenner?

By the way Tropp, your cheque is in the post to cover what I owe......
  8. In Andrew Marr's Book The Making of Britain, he states that FM Haig had the largest turn out at his funeral, ever, in UK.
    Greater numbers then Diana, the late Queen Mum or Churchill.

9. Perhaps they wanted to make sure he was dead?

Sorry jon couldn't help it!
  10. One of Britains greatest ever Generals, up there with Marlborough, Wellington or Slim, grossly libelled and misrepresented by the received interpretation of WW1 history. He was much admired in his lifetime as evidenced by the turnout as his funeral, the insults began only after that as the emotional, poetry based interpretation of WW1 that has dominated British historiography on the topic since the 30s overtook one based on actual real facts. Gordon Corrigans Mud, Blood & Poppycock, and Gary Sheffield's Forgotten Victory are good places to start for the general interest reader who wants a fact-based rather then emotion-based analysis...
  11. What he said. The Hundred Days of 1918 after the Kaiserschlacht show his mastery of the phases of war in Withdrawal followed by Defence then Advance and Attack. All done by the Army of the British Empire - the Frogs were exhausted and bleed dry. The Seppos really didn't really figure too much.
  12. I recently read 'Douglas Haig War Diaries and Letters' edited by Gary Sheffield and John Bourne and found it an excellent read and very illuminating on the psyche of the man. It's also a good general record of the progress of the war on the western front and pretty much all Divisions and lots of Brigades and individual Regiments get a mention. I got it from 'The Works' discount bookshop for £3.99 just before xmas (cover price was £25 so it was a bargain) and I think if anyone wants it it should still be on sale by them.
  13. A much misunderstood man, reviled in his own lifetime but fortunately over time his reputation is being rehabilitated. See my sigblock ......
  14. I remember being on a remembrance parade and having to listen to a Butcher-Haig-groupy rupert boring us with a lot of sho!t about his hero. It is the only time when I actually considered walking off a parade ...
  15. obviously you're not a fan. It is worth remembering that Haig's orders from December 1915 when he became CinC of the BEF was quote "Driving the German Armies from French and Belgian territories and thereby restoring the neutrality of Belgium" and also "The defeat of the enemy by the combined Allied Armies".

In order to fulfil these orders the BEF necessarily had to take the offensive on the western front against a heavily fortified, well lead, well trained and well armed enemy. Mechanized warfare was in its infancy and therefore the only way of defeating the enemy and driving him back was to attack strongly defended areas with infantry which obviously resulted in massive casualties. True, Haig and many of his Generals made mistakes, but in my opinion to brand him a 'butcher' is wrong.