Flying the Flag

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by mushroom, Oct 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. An ex squaddie with a brother and son still serving has raised a Union Flag on his house. Blythe Valley Council has ordered him to remove it. Their first argument was that it was unsafe (the man is a H&S Manager), their second argument was that it was an illegal advertisement and then finally they said it was against the law as the flagpole was not horizontal.

The local news interviewed a councillor who thought the overpaid officials who were insisting on this being removed were silly but he didn't promise to stop them. They also interviewed the local MP Ronnie Bell, who has a son serving in the Army (not many of those in the Labour party) who passed one or two remarks not entirely suitable for repeating on such a delicate forum as this.

Anyone know where I can buy a flagpole.

2. For what?????

I'll bet they wouldnt have been so quick to visit if it was a Cresent being flown.

Edited to add;

These people should be shot in the face ffs!!

Keep up the campaign!!
  3. Suggest chatting to Her Madge... her flagpole looks pretty non-horizontal. One rule for the ruling elite another for the...
  4. Lets be honest here. The only reason they don't want the flag flying is because it may offend our ragheads.
  5. eh? Has the Army been illegal, all these years it's used vertical flag poles?? I don't think I've ever seen a 'horizontal' flagpole, now I think about it...
  6. eh? Has the Army been illegal, all these years it's used vertical flag poles?? I don't think I've ever seen a 'horizontal' flagpole, now I think about it...
  7. What he needs to do is get the biggest union jack around and get it up there - fcuk em and the ragheads!

What they going to do, put him in jail?
  8. My thoughts exactly, Fallschirmjager.

BTW, welcome back. ;)
  9. I think they've got you on a technicality with the bit about the flagpole having to be horizontal although I always though it had to be vertical for some reason, (Royal and government buildings are exempt that antique little gem), but once that little thing is sorted out, they haven't got a leg to stand on.

Notice they showed their true colours (in the same way they don't want you to!) by coming up with the pathetic 'Unsafe' and 'Illegal Advert' calls before they were forced to look up a 'real' excuse.

My parents flew a Union Flag from the side of their house when I was on Telic 1 and promised not to take it down until I was there to do it myself. They had nothing but support from the local population, so a thank you from me to the population of north Shropshire.

You get your 'regulation' flagpole, fly the flag and proudly support your family and anyone who is serving their country. If anyone doesn't accept your right to do that then they should F**k off to another country of their choice and see how far they get there.

(edited for sh1t spelling!)
  10. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

And don't vote for the feckers that employ these jobsworth idiots.
  11. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

1) Many council offices have flag poles; maybe you should nip down and see if they have one and then ask them to remove it on grounds of H & S!

2) Many golf clubs have flagpoles (often the naval type with yardarms); find one frequented by the councillors and demand its removal - that should get them going.

3) Refer them to the Chancellor's wish to see the Union Flag flown on private property when he was going through his "British" phase on the hunt for popularity.
  12. More than that Mushroom, why dont we start a campaign for everyone to fly a Union Flag from their house in support of our forces and of our country and way of life. If every arrser was to promote Flying the Flag it would be a start. Lets take back our country and defend the right to make a statement about our country and our Flag.
  13. Would love to see the local councils try these arguments in Anderstown or the Shankhill.

Tell them to f off and fly the flag with pride.