flying low

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by the_butler, May 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don’t Know who you are but please stop flying so low over Breamore House ( in your fancy antsy gazelle. You are scaring our sheep
    And the lambs keep shooting out like RPG grenades. I know it’s the price I pay for living so close to Salisbury Plain but it’s like we are on your route to work or something.

Remember the lambs

PS if you ever want to land in the field and be a tourist

House opens 2.00pm-5.30pm

Last guided tour starts 4.15pm

Countryside Museum opens 1.00pm-5.30pm

May to September
    Open on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday and all Bank Holidays

Adults - £7

Children (5-15 years) - £5
    Over 60's - £6

Families (2 Adults+2 Children) - £17

Group Bookings
    Adults - £6 Children (5-15 years) - £4.50
  2. If youre not happy, ring Middle Wallop and put in a flying complaint.

If youre just advertising, you've got a weird way of doing it.
  3. Or give me a grid and I'll bring a few sea kings round to visit.

You won't mind about the gazelle any more!

(And you probably ARE on his way to work)
  4. One of ther biggest laughs opf my Army career was watching sheep and cows leg it from the Merlin transporting me, tactically.

At least 200' up, good ole NOE stuff.
  5. He should have got a radar service at that height.

NOE my arrse.
  8. They've just forgotten to switch over to whisper mode, ask for it by name when you put that complaint in.
  9. Heaven forbid that The Butler, his Masters, co-workers, paying visitors, non paying visitors or tradesmen need the services of the Air Ambulance!

He/she isn't on the way to work, you'll find they are AT work, NIMBY!

Mmmmmm, lamb!

10. Oh God! He's started me off on an old man's rant. As a wanderer off the beaten track in places high and wild, I was often scared shytless by the sudden onrush of the fly boys. This site here shows some examples of just how low is low -
    When I listened to/watched the reports of the two Gulf wars there was much about Cruise being used to take out air defence facilities. High altitude smart bombs with runway busting ability were also mentioned as in place. This course of attack did not seem to need low flying. I do remember being taxied over Glenshee in very low flying choppers and what fun it was to sit with legs dangling apparently level with the backs of the sheep. Recent supposition about losses in Iraq suggests that low flying is dodgy.
    So - do they really need low flying nowadays? There was quite a bit in GW1 reporting that low flying was abandoned because other munitions were superior and less risky to users. That was never proven but I got the drift.
  11. Old redcap, "Recent supposition about losses in Iraq suggests that low flying is dodgy." Would these be the same uninformed suppositions we're used to seeing from the media? I go out tomorrow, and trust me, I'll be clipping sheep (or the local scrwany equivilent) with my wheels. This is as I've been trained in order to keep me and the troops I carry safe (so you see we do have a role, they're called 'soldiers', which as a redcap you may have forgotten except as those individuals you charge after any shooting incident).

"This was never proven but I got the drift." What a reasoned, logical and cogent argument you present in order to attack something you clearly don't understand.

I realise that you would like me to fly around at 2000' over here so the noise of my engines doesn't upset your slow decline into senility, and it would make my job a lot easier. But then I'd probably crash into something in theatre as I would be unused to the environment I am required to fly in over there.

Oh, and Doctrine, please don't help me out on this, being assisted by childish stupidity is no help at all.
  12. Old Red Cap

OPSEC prevents me from answering your question with the required details, but if you spent more than half a second thinking about the subject of the varied threats that the guys face, in various theatre's of operations, then you might realise that the need to fly nice and low and fast is always there. Sorry to seem like a teacher, but the fellows would much rather be up there in the land of the gods, as opposed to 50ft with there hair on fire, they are forced to practice somewhere, or maybe even forced down through weather. No one likes to p**s of the locals, but it is sometimes required. And after all in the big picture of things, its the sound of freedom.

If you can speak German, thank a teacher.
    If you speak English, thank a soldier.
  13. Well Old Red Cap, If you had bothered to read your own link you would indeed find the answer your own question!
    (So - do they really need low flying nowadays?)
    The FIRST line reads "In the course of war time operations it is often necessary to fly very low, beneath the coverage of enemy radar, using the terrain to evade the enemy and to make surprise attacks."

For example, one close to my heart, Low Level FAC attacks, where in fact it is very possible, should ground forces not be available, a Gazelle or even Lynx has been in position in the weeds for a while in order to control the jet in the first place. How do you think that got there!

p.s. Look a bit closer and you'll find a lot of Gulf 1 low level Tornado articles.

Thanks to their night and all-weather penetration capability - and their unique JP233 airfield denial weapons - the Tornado GR1s were ideally suited to offensive counter attacks against iraqi airfields and were used intensively for that purpose in the early days. Initially, the RAF were tasked to harass enemy airfield operations rather than attempt to close a selected few and in those early days the GR1s carried out low level attacks with HP233 to crater runways or taxiways. These attacks were carried out in the face of exceptionally strong anti-aircraft artillery and missile fire from the Iraqis

Tactical Reconnaissance
    The Tornado GR1A reconnaissance variant with its Vinten Linescan integrated system was deployed immediately prior to the outbreak of hostilities. It is the first reconnaissance aircraft in the world to be equipped with video recording of sensors and provides a day/night recce capability. Some 140 Tornado GR1A operational sorties were flown on Tac Recce missions. The GR1As operated mainly in pairs at night and at low level and for extended periods over enemy territory against a variety of targets, including Scud mobile missile launchers, enemy defences and positions, supply routes and bridges for damage assessment after LGB raids. Good imagery of the majority of targets was obtained and no losses were incurred. The GR1As proved especially useful for short-notice tasks, and their results drew particular praise from the Americans. The Jaguar also flew some medium level reconnaissance sorties.

As this thread is about a gazelle, later on your link it says "Helicopters at low level. It is not always fixed wing aircraft that go low level and usually they fly lower to avoid the faster fixed wing aircraft."

Now I wouldn't expect someone like yourself to understand ACO's, TMMRs, LLTRs and the like (if they are indeed still the catchphrases these days!), but needless to say I have been on many an exercise where rotary have been restricted to NOT ABOVE 150'.

How low is low you also ask? ........................Authorised to Ground Level!!!

Perhaps it is a civi gazelle on its way to work!!!

There are 59 on the CAA register! One of which is G-FUKM!! G-FUKU is still available! :wink:
  14. Cracking pic Sid, don't often see shots of an F3 down in the dunes.
  15. F3 aka 'Fag Charriot'!!