Flying lessons

Camm1

LE
Wasn't sure of the best place to start the thread

I'm considering taking flying lesson with a view to obtaining a pilots licence.

Anyone here done this? any advice (other that join the RAF ) welcomed.

Issi

LE
Very expensive hobby if you want to fly a Cessna for an hour or two on a sunny afternoon.

100K+ for a Commercial licence, and something like 60% of commercial pilots are now struggling to pay their mortgages and their loans for said licences.

Camm1

LE
Commercial meaning you can fly people / goods for money?

What if i just wanted to fly me and my family in something like a Cessna?

I used to meet Brits at a couple of the skydive DZ's in Florida who were there to get their PPL's - you need a UK accredited instructor though. They told me it was much cheaper in the USA, apparently finding a school with UK instructors in France, or Spain used to be cheaper too.

I did some hours at Biggin Hill, just never got around to finishing off, must do that some day.

Very expensive hobby if you want to fly a Cessna for an hour or two on a sunny afternoon.

100K+ for a Commercial licence, and something like 60% of commercial pilots are now struggling to pay their mortgages and their loans for said licences.

If you are doing a fair bit of travelling around it is sometimes worth buying your own little single engine job. My wifes boss in the days of BAOR had a BiL who travelled back and forth between UK and a couple of locations in Euro-land and had a little plane......the RAF even allowed him to land at Bruggen a couple of times when he was visiting.

In the US we know a chap who is a regional manager for a hotel chain and he bought his own little plane to cover his area of 4 States, rather than driving. Means he is home most evenings.

Issi

LE
Hi.
PPL (Private Pilot Licence) is what you need for a little 4 seat Cessna, and that could cost in the region of 10-15k. And that's just to get your licence.
CPL is the commercial/airline side and that costs a bomb.

Ritch

LE
Wasn't sure of the best place to start the thread

I'm considering taking flying lesson with a view to obtaining a pilots licence.

Anyone here done this? any advice (other that join the RAF ) welcomed.

I took a few lessons where I learnt it cost on average £12000 for enough lessons and everything else to get a PPL.

A guy I knew got his PPL but ended up not flying much due to the cost. He later said it was a total waste of money for him.

As an ex instructor for 30 years I would say look at what you want to,do with it once you have got that bit of paper all branches of flying want to sell you.
Do you need four seats ? if not the U.K. ppl or even god forbid the EASA ppl Is an expensive way to aviate.
Rotary is a way to spend money when you have so much you have got bored thinking of ideas to p#SS it away. ( ok if HM is paying you to do it though.)
Gyrocoptors ? Look at the accident rate per hours flown ( and look at the insurance premiums for them!)
which leaves………modern 3 axis ultralights !
100 mph plus cruse with doors and heaters and loads of syndicated new 60 grand toys all around the country, and about 3k to get a licence.

As an ex instructor for 30 years I would say look at what you want to,do with it once you have got that bit of paper all branches of flying want to sell you.
Do you need four seats ? if not the U.K. ppl or even god forbid the EASA ppl Is an expensive way to aviate.
Rotary is a way to spend money when you have so much you have got bored thinking of ideas to p#SS it away. ( ok if HM is paying you to do it though.)
Gyrocoptors ? Look at the accident rate per hours flown ( and look at the insurance premiums for them!)
which leaves………modern 3 axis ultralights !
100 mph plus cruse with doors and heaters and loads of syndicated new 60 grand toys all around the country, and about 3k to get a licence.

Hmmm 12k does sound a bit steep.

Off to google 3 axis ultralights

I think 3 axis ultralights are what here in the US are called Light Sport Aircraft. Built the same as an airplane, just lighter weight construction to meet the ultralight weight requirements, and an engine restricted to a top speed of around 130/135mph 'ish. I will admit to having had a close look at them just prior to covid (which put a damper on everything) and being very impressed with the ability to convert a 3 hour each way drive into a 1 hour each way flight. Here it is 20 hour flight training, practical test, and theory test, along with no medical requirements other than holding a driving licence.

Many of the little planes seem to come from CZ and cost anything from 50K upwards new, cheaper 2nd hand.

@Cloth bomber question for you, sir: I thought the autogyros built by the likes of AutoGyro - Company - Made in Germany were inherently safe (allowing for the emperor factor) and were pretty much idiot proof. We have a police department here in Texas that uses one, and I see a couple of civvy ones flying around regularly too.

Hi.
PPL (Private Pilot Licence) is what you need for a little 4 seat Cessna, and that could cost in the region of 10-15k. And that's just to get your licence.
CPL is the commercial/airline side and that costs a bomb.
ATPL for airline pilot;-)

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I know a chap who has a microlight, its like a motorbike with wings, not sure what it cost or how you learn to drive it though
he is often away covering distances in it
although bad weather is not good as its mainly open

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Adding to Cloth Bomber’s excellent advice above, I’d also suggest gliding.

Membership at my local club is 250 quid a year (less if you’re under 25).

You then pay £12.50 per launch plus 40p per minute you’re in the air.

So call it 25 quid per half hour flight.

It’s cheaper than golf.

All kit provided, including the glider.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Many of the top aces in the Luftwaffe honed their skills by gliding

1626971581239.png

For 3 axis microlight, look at the Comco C42. Good economy & a delight to fly. It has its foibles, like the pitch change on flap deployment, but it's a lovely aircraft.

The Eurostar EV97 is more like a thoroughbred, very spritely performance, but slow speed aileron authority is limited. The manual pitch trim is very intuitive, but extremely powerful. Set it wrong and you need two hands on the stick. If you set it wrong on the runway, you will pogo until the nose gear collapses, very expensive.

It’s cheaper than golf.

Is it bollox cheaper than golf. Green fees at our club are $45 for non members. It takes ~4 hrs to play 18, so that would be 8x25=200 quid in a glider.

Granted you need all the golf gear, but that's not too expensive at the lower end.

Plus, if you make a total balls of it, you might lose a ball in the lake, rather than have a serious accident :)

The drinks cart girls are a lot better looking than the speccy ATC kids too :)

I would like to add Paramotoring , a parachute "wing"and a motor with prop strapped to your back ( think 2 stroke bergen )
T/o from a field free from obstructions and away you go. Oh and if for some insane reason one is unable to take that initial run up then the handy seat on a trike frame will get one airborne.

I didn't want to confuse him with another load of letters.
Fairy nuff!

To address the OP, I don't have any experience of doing a civvy flying course I do know a number of people who have.

If you want to do it as a hobby, you'd better have deep pockets.

If you want to do it for a career, you'd better be young.

It’s cheaper than golf.

People pay 25 quid to jump out of a perfickly good airplane.