Flying humvees for us military

TurtleHead

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
Would it be anything like the flying ford anglia off Harry Potter? Lets be honest yanks and ginger people fall within the same intellect category, and Ron Weasley didnt do a very good job

Great journalism there:
SUV versions are available to the public under the Hummer brand name but the airborne Transformer TX would bring a completely new dimension in capability.
No they aren't. Hummer - Wikipedia

Would it be anything like the flying ford anglia off Harry Potter? Lets be honest yanks and ginger people fall within the same intellect category, and Ron Weasley didnt do a very good job
He nailed Hermione though...

Yanks already have flying Humvees... fact. Well, flying is only falling with style... or indeed falling 30ft from under a Super Stallion who thought it had been lit up. Only thing wrong with it after touch down? Knackered wing mirror. Alas it was at night, so they Yanks had to guard it, to ensure Terry didn't nick the hubcaps.

J. Walter Christie beat them all to it in the 1930s...

What was really amazing was that he had an AFV capable of 70mph on its roadwheels in production...

A flying transporter capable of carrying 4 people and able to take of and land vertically..............I'm sure I've heard of those somewhere else was it called a wellycapter or something?

Beat me to it.

I have driven a Humvee and yep sack of brown stuff. Over complicated over priced and mostly unsuitable. Errr how did the MOD get involved in US procurement?

BTW it was an early demobbed version and I did get to go over some rough stuff.

I was always quite impressed with Humvee mobility - less so when it was fitted with up-armour kits, but then there's no way a landy would have taken that either. The independant suspension and 'wheel at each corner' design really allow it to climb over some pretty fearsome terrain.

Compared to a Landy, it feels a lot less responsive (a big American diesel and auto gearbox do that), but it will get you wherever you need to go.

Certainly not complicated, and at $60,000USD a piece quite reasonable compared to what we were paying for Wolf...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
JoeCivvie The Intelligence Cell 14
msr The Intelligence Cell 1
Ord_Sgt The Intelligence Cell 22