Flying Grading...

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by electricdonkey, Nov 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey all,

I feel i maybe repeating old posts but thought i'd post a note anyway...

I have Flying Grading looming and wondered if any of you would be able to give me a heads up as this is something I really want to see all the way through. I've called a few people and had a bit of advise, no one seems to give too much away though...

Obviously there is the 13 hours of flying, but is there anything on top of that? I'm aware that students are given very little feedback so does any one have suggestions for how to approach the training other than a postitve, open minded sponge?!

2. My grading was a few years ago, so I can't comment about what happens now

However . . .

1. Read up as much as possible about the theory of flight, aviation termonology, etc. You can never not know enough

2. Think HASSELL
    Height - sufficient to recover by xxxx feet, altimeter setting checked
    Airframe - as required for the ensuing manoeuvre
    Safety - all strapped in, harnesses tight, doors/canopy shut and locked, manoeuvre and bale out brief revisited
    Security - no loose objects, relevant pockets zipped, fire extinguisher locked, first aid kit secure, maps etc tucked away
    Engine - t&p's, fuel & pump as required
    Location - Clear of Airspace, Built up areas, Cloud, Danger areas
    Lookout - clearing turns/wingovers depending on type

3. On down days, go sit in the cockpit and repeat repeat repeat all the drills/procedures etc. Time in the cockpit is time well spent

4. After each sortie, write down and absorb all you've learnt. Go over it in your head to familiarise yourself before your next one.

5. Don't get too het up about ballsing up a drill or too. Although learn by your mistakes, (very quickly)

6. Don't pull too much G on the loop and compress the instructor by 2" than before he stepped in the aircraft :oops:

7. Enjoy yourself, after all you're getting paid to fly around

Feedback from the instructors is less than Nil, but don't worry, get stuck in and do your best.

Good luck :thumright:
  3. Try to enjoy the experience, relax as much as you can and don't be afraid to ask for clarification if you are not sure as to what is expected of you.

The Instructors are there to pass you and are usually very good.
  4. If you fail it's 13 hours you'll never forget. If you pass it's the first stage of an interesting career, and the hours count towards a PPL.

Not current info, I know but when I did mine, (after 5 years flying as an Aircrewman/Observer) the advice I was given was listen to what the nice man told me, look at what he showed me and try to emulate it. It's about the ability to assimilate information and act upon it. You Stick Monkey, him Stick Monkey Tamer. Prior knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Didn't do a maths test, as the assumption was you'd got that out of the way before Grading. Interview involved secret rituals and excessive alcohol consumption.
  5. I have the full Grob Tutor checklist and EFT manual here with me, if you need to know anything just ask..
  6. You arrive
    You get a brief
    You draw your flying suit, get fitted for ther flying helmet
    You get introduced to your Instructor
    You fly 12 hrs with that instructor (usually) and each sortie is putting into practice what you've been taught on the previous sortie and then learn some more.
    You have sporadic ground school, met lessons, etc
    You fly the last (13th) hour with another instructor who assesses you
    You snap your heels together in the Cheif Flying Instructors office for a pass/fail interview
    You go home happy/sad

There it is in a nutshell.

Don't be surprised on the second hour when you're told to inspect the aircraft prior to flight. Or on the third hour or so just as you've been given permission to take off you're told 'You have control' Or an hour later, you're coming round onto finals and are told 'You can land this one'

As said before, enjoy, it'll be the best 13hrs of your career without doubt. :nod:
  7. I haven’t done flying grading, but I am flying the Grob Tutor in the University Air Squadron. We follow the RAF EFT Syllabus.
    My only advice would be to learn your checks inside out, be confident in carrying them out without the instructor waiting for you to do so.

If you don’t understand an instruction in the air 100% then ask the instructor to repeat it (blame the comms) because if you don’t you will fcuk it up a treat.
    And the comment before about taking every opportunity to learn procedures on the ground is very true.

Just remember, 90% of flying is done looking outside of the cockpit, you can never do too many look-outs!

Good luck, and post how it went/what was involved in a few weeks. I’m intrigued as a wannabe AAC Pilot after Uni.
  8. How did/is the grading going?
  9. Congrats! I'm joining up as AAC groundcrew this summer with a long term goal of going for my grading in a few years. Can I ask what the medical was like/involved?
  10. Ok cheers for the info. I ask because I applied for RAF pilot a couple years ago and got rejected from the aircrew role due to a 2 week chest infection I had 6 years previously. I'm hoping they'll have forgotten about that in a few years!
  11. Yeah, I've yet to even start phase 1 yet so I'm not worried about it yet. Besides, I figure if Ed Macy can get through the medical after breaking most of his bones in a car accident then I should be alright!

Good luck with the rest of your training and congrats again.