Flying fiction?

Can anyone recommend fiction about flying? Preferably WW1/2.

I've read Winged Victory, bloody good book, are there any more similar to it?

the Biggles series :)

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
derek robinson - the goshawk squadron/hornet squadron books.

non fiction, but a great read, is a book called 'a thousand shall fall' by a canadian called Murray Peden who flew for Bomber Command in world war two, who ended up flying special ops in RAF B-17s.

Anything written by Sharkey Ward.

Len Deighton - Goodbye Mickey Mouse - oh, and Bomber, by the same author.

I'd second the Biggles recommendation. Superbly un-PC.

Thanks, I'll check these out.

I've read quite a few Biggles too, (the ones with whiskey rather than lemonade!).

derek robinson - the goshawk squadron/hornet squadron books.

non fiction, but a great read, is a book called 'a thousand shall fall' by a canadian called Murray Peden who flew for Bomber Command in world war two, who ended up flying special ops in RAF B-17s.
Sorry - jut spotted your recommendation.

Flying Leathernecks by somebody or other. I read it when I was a kid but can't remember much about it now.

'The Shepard' by Fredrick Forsyth; actually post WWII but a good story.
'Tuesday’s War' by David Fiddimore; a story about a WWII bomber and it's crew, based on facts.

Fly west, Ivan Southall. An Australian flying Sunderlands in WW2
Aimed at teenagers but still a great read

No moon tonight by don charlwood about an Aussie in bomber command and the mounting losses experienced I picked mine up from Abes book for a couple of quid

Ah yes, the WE Johns books:

Biggles Holds His Own

Biggles Holds Algy's

The RAF Hold An Enquiry

That gag got me suspended from the BBC website for spreading homophobia...

Piece of Cake by Derek Robinson. Good insight into RAF tactics at the start of WW2
I'd second that. Good book and oddly enough I have just recently come into possession of the DVDs of the TV series of the same name.

Not a patch on the book of course but Moggy is pretty good.

Empire of the Clouds is good for a bit of a chuckle about how we as a nation despite incredible engineering advances during WW2, being pioneers of the jet age and world leaders in technological advances during the cold war ... gave it all away to the Yanks and the French... and through in-fighting, the old boys network and government tittle tattle, lost the race.

Still a cracking read it swaps between the demise of our air industry and the stories of the test pilots .......really well written and I am going to get another copy after giving mine to a RAF friend.

Empire of the Clouds: When Britain's Aircraft Ruled the World eBook: James Hamilton-Paterson, Hamilton-Paterson: Amazon.co.uk: Books

PoGs
PocketComms - Language First Aid at your Fingertips